Plywood Aqurium VS Concrete Aquarium

I don't care what that article says, anyone considering building a large tank should carefully consider equipment and maintenance costs. Water changes alone can add up quickly in a large system. I am not trying to discourage doing it at all, as it is very rewarding, just remember what we all thought we could "get by with" when we got into this stuff in the first place. You are not going to want to take it easy when you've got that huge tank in front of you IME. ;) :D :eek: :(

I don't think Seahorse is going to build it for a reef tank. He just wants to know if anyone has any experience in building one? I know what his master plan is tho. ;)

One thing you need to consider too is evaporation. A tank of that size will evaporate at such a high rate that you can actually cause issues with your house if you don't have some powerful dehumidifiers running.

I don't think Seahorse is going to build it for a reef tank. He just wants to know if anyone has any experience in building one? I know what his master plan is tho. ;)

Peter you know my plan ;), this is my dream tank 3 year ago.

About dehumidifiers I haven't think about it, but I usually cover glass on top 90%, so it not a big deal right?

there have been a couple of members who built wood tanks....don't recall who tho...old timers of the BRS

90% covered will keep the heat in, You will still have evaporation on a tank that big that 10% opening would be larger than my 65g opening was, that 65g (36" x 18") evaporated 5g week, I would imagine yours would be considerably more.

Also was that a freshwater or brackish water stigray tank? noticed an arrowana. I think you need to use some type of sealer in saltwater applications, salt + water versus cement = bad. think about what happens to salted sanded driveways, walkways and steps..

This setup just for freshwater, and I'm thinking to build plywood not concrete. Cause I do some research and I think plywood more easy and less work than the concrete. But I'm not sure what kind material that I need to apply on plywood for watertight.

This setup just for freshwater, and I'm thinking to build plywood not concrete. Cause I do some research and I think plywood more easy and less work than the concrete. But I'm not sure what kind material that I need to apply on plywood for watertight.

You will need to get epoxy paint to make it water tight. It isn't very cheap but works really well. I got mine from Aquatic-Eco and I think it was about $50 for a gallon. If you go HERE and scroll about half way down you will see how I built my plywood sump/cabinet.

Plywood with a good epoxy paint will stand up for some time, but IMO to do the job for the long term you should glass it. I have a fair amount experience building and restoring wood boats and any tanks or built in coolers are always glassed, even a small chip in the epoxy paint can spell trouble.

Jim

If you would like you can come see my plywood tank it measures 11 ft x 5 ft x 4 deep. it is epoxy coated 4 inch bottom drain. and returns through the wall. it may not be exactly like you looking to build but it will give you some idea's. if there is anything i can help you with pleae feel free to get ahold of me. take care

If you would like you can come see my plywood tank it measures 11 ft x 5 ft x 4 deep. it is epoxy coated 4 inch bottom drain. and returns through the wall. it may not be exactly like you looking to build but it will give you some idea's. if there is anything i can help you with pleae feel free to get ahold of me. take care

Got any pic.s would love to see it.

Back