Poll of the Day: Additives

What additives are added to your aquarium?

• 2 Part Alk, Calcium and Mag such as (BRS 2 Part)

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Homemade 2 Part (like the older days of reefkeeping)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Trace Elements (Any of the readily available products on the market)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Nothing Added

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Anything added that isn't listed here)

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Comment below to let others know what and if any is added to your aquariums.

I use BRS 2 part in one system and Seachem Fusion 1 and 2 in an other. I like the results with the BRS so will be switching other system to that also

Brs ca, mg, alk. 5% weekly wc with added trace elements, potassion and iodine. I have been slowly adding these based on a Triton test every 6 months. Starting with half the recommended dose and working up based on the next test.

B-ionic 2 parts. Never added Mg. I have not added anything else in... could be 4 years (I am losing track of time).

On my total 100G system (if tanks were empty of stuff) I change every week 25 G of water. Could be that compensate for all that I am not doing/adding.

Cheers
Daniel

Wow! I’m surprised how many 2 part people there are! I used to do that because I thought it was easier, but water changes don’t really keep up with the trace elements eventually and I started losing corals. Since I started a calcium reactor it seems way easier and it adds old corals skeletons to the water basically so it’s exactly what they need to grow. And I also add amino acids so their tissue can keep up with the skeletal growth. I’m guessing what steers people away initially is the upfront cost of all the CaRx components. But once you have that there is no more cost except for co2 and media eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! I’m surprised how many 2 part people there are! I used to do that because I thought it was easier, but water changes don’t really keep up with the trace elements eventually and I started losing corals. Since I started a calcium reactor it seems way easier and it adds old corals skeletons to the water basically so it’s exactly what they need to grow. And I also add amino acids so their tissue can keep up with the skeletal growth. I’m guessing what steers people away initially is the upfront cost of all the CaRx components. But once you have that there is no more cost except for co2 and media eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to run a calcium reactor when you have a small system, which is my case. Much easier to dose two part. Maybe something similar for others.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back