Power heads for Quiet pulse operation

mvallee

Non-member
I have been looking at power heads to make a pulsing flow in my tank. I have mainly softies and love the slow wave back and forth. The two powerheads I am considering are the Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6095 and Vortech MP40 wqd. My tank is in our main living area so noise is the big concern, ease of use and synching are important as well.

It's a 5 foot long tank and currently have an mp40 wqd on one end and 3 of the Reef Breeder RP-M pumps on the back wall. I bought the MP40 used and have always found it a bit loud especially in pulse mode but am running it that way anyways just a long pulse to minimize noise and the RP-M's are way to noisy in pulse mode for me and have to run them in reefcrest mode. I am getting lots of flow just not the type I like.

I was considering getting another mp40 wqd thinking I could figure out if the dry side or wetside needs to be replaced on the existing pump but I would be terribly disappointed if the new one was just as loud as the old one or buy two Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6095, on sale they are not much more expensive. Anyone have experience with both of these pumps and could offer an opinion on which would be the quieter of the two? Is there another option I should be considering? my tank is a rimless redsea reefer with a custom acrylic top so an actual wavemaker like the Tunze Wavebox would not work as I do not have the clearance above the water line.

Thanks

I have a 6055 and at 100% I can’t hear it. Have had a mp10 and anything over 75% and I could here it whinnying if the tv was off. Also for the wave you want to achieve its way easier with the the tunze

I have 2 6055 and they are absolutely silent on any power level or mode. 6095 is the same pump with more flow and a wider flow pattern. I was pondering getting one or two my self this Black Friday sale.

with the tunze can you get them to synch up with each other, they seem to be focused on being apex ready and have not found any details on whether they can synch to each other with the apex

I have my two linked together with the tunze link cable. They are not programmed thru my apex, only off on for maintenance etc. I have them on opposite ends pulsing back and forth.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back