Powerhead Ideas

Leadfootedracer

Non-member
Looking for powerhead ideas. In my last tank I used Hydor Koralia. Hated them. After a while they began clicking and eventually broke apart. In this tank, I chose to use a pair of Tunze 6020’s and now one is clicking and the other is just buzzing. I am using a Hydor SmartWave. Any input is appreciated. Pic of said current tank. With the powerheads behind the fake wall, they must alternate otherwise they starve each other and there is no flow. Due to cost involved, 2 nano AC pumps are preferred over anything DC at this time.

BC1485AC-181A-478D-A9B3-84504090344B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have coralbox quite pumps available at different size, cheap.
Tunze has hit the rock bottom in terms of quality these days.

What size coralbox for a 40 breeder? I think that’s what he has set up if I remember correctly from the build thread.

Two QP-5 will get the job done

Ordered a pair of Jebao RW4’s with a twin controller for $107 shipped. Will pull the other stuff out and have that smartwave for sale/trade soon. Luckily the tank is currently fallow from catching some ich and I haven’t put any corals in yet. Shouldn’t be too bad to swap our the pumps.

Sorry for getting to this late. I was running the rw4 on my 40b and with it wide open it still was not enough flow... one of them died and this is just a budget setup so I replaced it with a korlia and I get much more flow from the koralia. I know you said you didn't like them due to issues in the past but imo jebao rw series aren't much better as far as quality. I'm not sure how much flow you're looking for but I'd get the next size up from the rw4 and just dial them back as needed.

Ordered a pair of Jebao RW4’s with a twin controller for $107 shipped. Will pull the other stuff out and have that smartwave for sale/trade soon. Luckily the tank is currently fallow from catching some ich and I haven’t put any corals in yet. Shouldn’t be too bad to swap our the pumps.

Rw4’s might be a little small.

Rw4’s might be a little small.

The flow twice what the Tunze 6020’s flow that are in there now, and that was plenty. I am using 2 mag 5’s, and 2 powerheads. This will be more of a zoa garden than anything else, so flow isn’t ridiculously important as it is with other corals.

The flow twice what the Tunze 6020’s flow that are in there now, and that was plenty. I am using 2 mag 5’s, and 2 powerheads. This will be more of a zoa garden than anything else, so flow isn’t ridiculously important as it is with other corals.

Rw 4 will be perfect for that

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back