Problem with Algae

cullenava

Non-member
I'm having a problem with a purple and black algae on my sand in my bio cube. It's been been established for about 6 months and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Water parameters are fine other than alkalinity is at an 8. Just had it tested at Lovely Pets

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 179
Looks like cyano from what I can see from the pics on my phone. Being that your tank is 6 months old it's not the end of the world. I'd focus on water changes/nutrient export and possibly more flow as I've always seemed to get cyano the worse in areas of lower flow....

In the past when I've had to deal with cyano when I do water changes I suck up as much of the cyano as possible when taking out tank water. You may suck up some sand at the same time but if you hover over the cyano and lower slowely you'll get mainly the cyano with not too much sand...

Don’t mean to jack the thread, but I got some on the sand bed in my refugium. But there is none in my dt. Would you guys worry about it or just let it grow there?

No worries about jacking the thread all welcome! any advice on a power head. I have a 32 gallon bio-cube didn't think i'd need one

I have a 29 bio cube, very similar b size. I use an mj 1200 for return pump and Icecap gyre 1k running a couple pulling mode between 10 and 60%

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back