Pruning Xenia

Muscles

Non-member
Any good tips? I have read about just grabing and pulling but it just slips through my fingers and makes a slimy mess. It also leaves a stalk with some unsightly half pulsing ends. Leaving some rubble for it to spread to then removing the rubble is unfortunatly not an option. Can it be snipped with some sharp scissors at the lowest part of the stalk? I am worried about any relase that this may produce. My tank is small and I fear a quick water change after pruning will not get any nutrient realse if there is any. Also pulling it out completely intact would be a bonus because then I could start giving away this weed. It's nice looking for xenia and great for newcomers.

I try to peel it off the rock. If you do not want it to grow back, then you need to allow it to move onto something else, then remove it whole. If even a little bit of slime is left, it will regrow - IME.
I am looking for a flexible "arm" to attach a scallop shell, and "shade" the xenia, which will then move onto the shell. Then I can remove it & scrape it off the shell mostly intact
In a smaller tank I woudl only prune a little at a time, maybe right before a water change

get your fingernail under its foot
it will peel off the rock
it will grow back

i can usually get a good grasp on the foot with out the slimy mess and slippage you mention when grabbing the stalk.

If you are going to cut it I would remove the rock and do the cutting in a bucket a salt water. Preferable the water you just removed from a water change as this will have the same parameters as the tank. This way anything it releases will be in water you are discarding. In case you haven't experienced it yet, the smell of xenia out of water is second only to cleaning a skimmer.

What if you can not remove the rock? should you not cut it in the tank? I was about to prune some and did not know you should not cut it in the tank

I just use a razor and cut it off the rock or glass and have not had a problem. I wouldn't go squeezing the heck out of it if ou can avoid it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back