Question about larvae tank set up???

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
In my research I've pretty much gotten the impression that the larvae tank should just be one of those air driven filters but my question was what if you plumbed it into a breeding set up with all the other small tanks for raising the fish when they're gotten through the metamorphosis phase? I was thinking if you added a gate valve and turned the flow into the tank waaaaaaay down to below a trickle and then had a stand pipe drilled in for the return to the sump and put lots of foam around it if that would work to help keep the set up cleaner?

Matt Wittenrich wrote a great book that I got when I had a pair of yellow head sleeper gobies that spawned every 13-14 days like clockwork until the male died of breeding stress and the female bugged out when he was gone and soon followed into the great abyss. In the wild those only live 2-3 years. Mine were with me almost two. I tried like hell to get those larvae past day 4 about 9 times and gave up. Rotifers were not a good first food I think. I even examined larvae via microscope to see if they had food in the gut. Never saw much. His book suggests exactly that, slow trickle from a mature sump on a well filtered system that is much larger, slowly introducing clean water. The larger the larval tank the better. Lit during daylight but not intensely and you can add cultured phytoplankton to remove some ammonia. Round tanks are better. I used a plastic half whiskey barrel liner with a pvc standpipe I installed in the center. Lined the top with very fine nitex mesh. Water volume is the larvae’s best friend. The bigger the better. What species are you trying? That Wittenrich book covers most of what is available today captive reared except some recent success with Tangs and Angels.

I'd like to try raising some of my clownfish larvae. I had planned on purchasing a large round black tub that is about 18 gallons as it would be round and black which is best for trying to raise larvae...

My clowns have only spawned twice and I'm waiting for several spawns so they get used to doing it right and so I have time to get a rotifer culture going, nail down and expand my phyto culture (only have 2 half gallon jars currently), put a tile in the tank and try and get them to lay on it and finally get the tanks plumbed and set up in the basement if I get the ok from afbondguy's better 1/2 lol...

I also have Matt's book I used a Barnes and Noble GC to download it onto my work tablet to read while at work... Great book for anyone interested in breeding...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back