Question about Shipping Corals?

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
How many have shipped corals across the country? Also, looking for some tips in doing so as well as shipping carriers.

How many have shipped corals across the country? Also, looking for some tips in doing so as well as shipping carriers.
I'm not going to be any help with carriers since I've never had the courage to attempt a shipment that way. But in the past, I have sent frags (and even some live rock) to family in Georgia and Florida. I have had great luck using Delta cargo. Usually I can set it up so that I'm packaging in the morning and they're acclimating by early afternoon the same day. The cost is generally similar to or better than overnight with FedEx or UPS when I've punched in the information. The downside is that you have to be able to drop it off at Delta Cargo and make sure the recipient can pick up. Looks like Delta has door to door service too, but I've never used it, nor do I know how much it would drive the cost up.

I’ve shipped ups overnight with no issue. I put the plug in a piece of insulation foam to keep it floating with the frag facing down. Pack tight. Mark the box as fragile but don’t tell the desk person it’s coral frags lol

Most big wholesales use fed ex overnight. But are stearing to ups for better service and reliability paul. Fed ex not what it used to be.

I ship nearly daily all over the country. I use FedEx and coolers from Uline. Call me if you want to chat!

Ship softies and anemones. UPS overnight i typically use, and have even used 2day on hardier frags and mild weather. Uline deluxe pharmaceutical insulated bags w/ 6x6x6 box, cheaper than foam coolers and store smaller/ better. Avoid shipping in extreme hot/cold temps.

Thread below was a really great reference when i started shipping.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-ship-frags-like-a-pro.571769/

Be prepared for the inevitable screw up or delay in shipping service and resulting loss of coral, it will happen at some point

Good Luck!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back