Question for clownfish breeders...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
I was wondering how long it took for your clownfish eggs to hatch? I've been keeping a record since they've started to breed and the past few times it's been 12 and 13 days since they hatched. The last time I noticed the female was quite plump and actually swimming oddly and I actually thought I would have had to manually remove her eggs as she looked bad but thankfully the next day she was normal.

I thought eggs were supposed to hatch in the 8-10 day range from the research I've done. I'm not sure if it's because they're a new spawning pair (after 9+ years) so they're still learning what to do? This most recent batch was laid a day after the eggs last hatched. I'm not sure if them being on the flat tile will make a difference or not? Not sure if it's just the male doing a crappy job tending to the eggs or not? I'm not at the point where I can try and raise them (yet) and the option to remove the tile and aerate it myself isn't off the table.

So how long does it take your clownfish eggs to hatch?

It typically takes 7-10 days for the eggs to hatch mostly depending on the water temp, broodstock diet, and species of clownfish. A good way to tell when the eggs are going to hatch is by watching the eggs. The eggs start a reddish-orange color and then slowly turn lighter orange as the fry utilizes the yolk to grow. When eggs are 1-2 days from hatching the orange will be almost completely gone and you will be able to see the tiny eyes of the fry if you shine a flashlight on the eggs.

Yeah I see the eyes and the typical progression it just takes several days after that transition for them to hatch. Shortest hatch time was 11 days on the first hatch. Been 12 days, 11 days and 13 days since...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back