Questions about ich.

stangkid1987

Non-member
Hey everyone i have a question about ich. No none of my fish have the parasite i am simply just trying to really learn more about these fish diseases and pests so i can be ready in the future. Now I have read all the other stickies and what not on other forums about how fish get ich and the stages of the parasites life. I also have a pretty good understanding on the best ways to treat for this parasite, but what i am having trouble getting an answer for is.... lets say a aquarium that has never had fish or corals for I dont know 7 months ( again this is just an example ) so there is absolutely no possible way the ich parasite could be in the tank and a fish that has never had ich nor in a aquarium with it. I read that the parasite does not grow out of thin air magically, So the actual question....can a fish create the parasite itself when stressed? Or does the ich have to be in the system already waiting for a weak stressed fish to latch on to? Thank you for the help I love learning these things!

It cannot be created...... it either comes into the tank or it doesn’t. Seems like you’ve identified some ways it comes in but it can be tricky to ensure you don’t “catch” it. Aerosol transmissions, corals, shrimp etc etc

It cannot be created...... it either comes into the tank or it doesn’t. Seems like you’ve identified some ways it comes in but it can be tricky to ensure you don’t “catch” it. Aerosol transmissions, corals, shrimp etc etc
Thanks for the info. So far I have 2 small wyoming white clowns that are doing great and yesterday I picked up a baby yellow belly blue tang. They are all in quarentine and will remain there for a while. I am just trying to have the best practices for my fish. I have had tanks previous to this one and have been guilty of the temp float and acclimate, no qt. But not this tank. My goal is to keep this tank absolutely pest free. Which is why I started my tank with dry rock and sand. The baby hippo tang so far is hiding under a rock breaths a little heavy but is eating pe mysis. So fingers are crossed

Are you quarantining the fish in a separate tank? If so general cure, metro and copper power is a good regimen to run them through

A fish can harbor a parasite and not have symptoms, and then, when they get stressed, the parasite becomes a problem. This isn't spontaneous generation of the parasite, but it is just a subclinical infection that was carried into a tank, and then found conditions favorable to an outbreak.

If you haven’t already look up humble fish. His fish disease site has so much information. I’m sure it would be worth checking out.

Yeah, humble is what I’ve used for the past year, Bobby is top notch not to mention his QT vendors are very reasonable options. All my fish have been humble QTd

There was an interview on club melevesreef YouTube with Humble Fish recently that was very informative. Check it out

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back