quick question, need some help

wcj_ink

Non-member
so this morning my melanurus wrasse was swimming happily and just 30min ago I noticed him next to the overflow with his mouth wide open which he didn't have earlier...looks like he cant close it up. what could of caused this? I tried to take a shot but he's way in back of tank to get a detailed one but you can see his mouth pretty good. anybody know what might be causing this?

Attachments

• 20190709_120702.jpg
    20190709_120702.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 258
I'd guess trauma (ran into a rock, lost a fight, jumped into a lid/light, etc.). Which I know is not really helpful. Have you seen him being chased at all?

I'd guess trauma (ran into a rock, lost a fight, jumped into a lid/light, etc.). Which I know is not really helpful. Have you seen him being chased at all?
no he hasnt been chased or bullied by any of my other fish at all but if its trauma then it should heal right? I'm hoping it's not lock jaw or even worse a broken jaw.

before this happening he was swiftly moving around like always, now he is just under the outtakes stuck to the overflow box not moving at all

How long do you have him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has he been in your tank? Any new fish added recently?
he's been in the tank for 1 month, he is the last fish I added along with a cleaner wrasse. none of my other fish even looked at them when introduce. no aggression towards either one of them at all

It does sound like a bacterial infection.
Just like Andy said, you need to remove him from the display and treat him in separate QT tank. But give him a day or two to see if the symptoms persist. Treating fish without knowing the actual cause, in most case, may not be effective and can stress the fish out more.

It does sound like a bacterial infection.
Just like Andy said, you need to remove him from the display and treat him in separate QT tank. But give him a day or two to see if the symptoms persist. Treating fish without knowing the actual cause, in most case, may not be effective and can stress the fish out more.

his belly is back to normal, I moved him into qt for now and it looks like he got his lips ripped off. hes not moving just stays in one spot laying down but moves to switch laying positions

That is a good sign that his belly is back to normal

There is a lot of weird stuff that happens to wrasses - seemingly out of nowhere. They often injure themselves and die due to spinal injuries.

I just want to say thanks for everyone that tried to shed some light on this situation but i just checked on the wrasse and he unfortunately passed already
:(

I just want to say thanks for everyone that tried to shed some light on this situation but i just checked on the wrasse and he unfortunately passed already
:(
Sorry to hear. I have never heard of one of these cases that turned out well.

Sorry to hear that. I guess lost his lip was too much injure to handle.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back