quick question

I would think it would be... 65 gallons of saltwater is roughly 650 lbs, then add in rock sand and tank/stand weight your probably looking at 1000 or so lbs

my guess is the floor should handle that fine, although not sure.

We also live on the 3rd floor and are thinking of doing a 70G plus fuge/other bodies of water. I am of the firm belief that it will work. ::knocks on wood::

Yea Jen and I have 50G plus rock, tanks, equipment. I would feel fine with a 70G, just put it next to a load bearing wall.

water weight

it should be fine the it is only 520 lbs of water.
the average water bed weighs a lot more than that.

Brian

rock and sand displaces water, (and it's weight)

I would be surpised if that tank weighed 750 pounds. Think of 3 big guys on the space of that tank's footprint. What kind of 3rd floor are you talking about? Apartment complex with concrete floors, or rickety old 3 decker with crooked/dipping floors. Also, is it going to be near a bearing wall? All important questions....

well heres my figuring.

freshwater = 8.33 lbs a gallon, saltwater = around 10 lbs.. so that answers your question hogrider.

So that tank with just water will weigh around 650 lbs. Plus the weight of the tank.. say 50 lbs? so theres 700. I'm assuming the stand will be around another 75-100 lbs... so JayM is right with saying it will be around 750 lbs.. as sand and LR will displace water...

But say he adds in a 20 gallon sump.. It would be close too 1000 lbs =).

well heres my figuring.

freshwater = 8.33 lbs a gallon, saltwater = around 10 lbs.. so that answers your question hogrider.

So that tank with just water will weigh around 650 lbs. Plus the weight of the tank.. say 50 lbs? so theres 700. I'm assuming the stand will be around another 75-100 lbs... so JayM is right with saying it will be around 750 lbs.. as sand and LR will displace water...

But say he adds in a 20 gallon sump.. It would be close too 1000 lbs =).

Salt Water weighs (on avg) 8.55/lb per gallon.

That being said....with a sump-n-fuge, you could still hit 1000 pounds

I've always gone with the 10 lbs per gallon of water for total weight (including rocks and sand). I've heard this from LFS's and from many books that I read before I started my tank years ago. I don't think that you would go near 1000 lbs with a 65 gallon tank. I'd say it'll be 650-750 lbs w/o a sump.

Just make sure you spread the weight across where the studs in the floor go so that it's spread out over 3-4 beams and like mentioned put it near a load bearing wall. You could try asking your landlord what he thinks (and then go and do it anyways) If you want to be super sure hire an engineer.

I've always gone with the 10 lbs per gallon of water for total weight (including rocks and sand). I've heard this from LFS's and from many books that I read before I started my tank years ago. I don't think that you would go near 1000 lbs with a 65 gallon tank. I'd say it'll be 650-750 lbs w/o a sump.

Just make sure you spread the weight across where the studs in the floor go so that it's spread out over 3-4 beams and like mentioned put it near a load bearing wall. You could try asking your landlord what he thinks (and then go and do it anyways) If you want to be super sure hire an engineer.

i agree my original estimate was off, i was assuming to much on tank and stand weight.

Jay, where did you get that number.. i just go by 10 because thats what i've always heard and read.

i agree my original estimate was off, i was assuming to much on tank and stand weight.

Jay, where did you get that number.. i just go by 10 because thats what i've always heard and read.

Like Dong said.....
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_one_gallon_of_salt_water_weigh

From the page:

To get an exact answer, you must know the percent composition of the salt water, or the ratio of salt to water. Roughly, salt water weighs 64 lbs/cu. ft., as opposed to fresh water, which is about 62.2 lbs/cu. ft. There are 7.4805 gallons in a cubic foot. So a gallon of salt water weighs 8.556 lbs.

the tank is going along an exteior wall and yes i am doing a 20 gal sump / fuge its a 3 floor wood framed house and the floor that its going on is tiled.

the only other worry i have is that because of the size of the kitchen the fridge is i the dining room and it would only be about 4-5 ft. away from the new tank and no i dont know how much the fridge weighs. thak you guys for all your input.

i'm not sure how much i trust those... clearly contradictory.

This is taken from dongs link.

Saltwater ('pure saltwater': meaning 'purified- freshwater' with a synthetic seasalt completely mixed to a specific gravity of 1.022 (again, the 'recommended' specific gravity measurement is another argument altogether). However, this mixture (at what 'I' think an 'ideal' 76 degrees Fahrenheit) is much heavier than Freshwater, comming in at 11.(sumthin')lbs per gallon; which is (obviously) approx. 1.5??? lbs per-gallon heavier.

i live on the second floor and i have a 90 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and a 40 gallon with a 20 gallon sump so im sure your ok

from new bedford i see me to

i live on the second floor and i have a 90 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and a 40 gallon with a 20 gallon sump so im sure your ok

from new bedford i see me to

yeah i don't see the tank crashing through the floor but just wanted to make sure.
yeah highpower north end kid here!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back