** Raffle ** How many of us use moon lights? ** Raffle **

Do you have moonlights on your tank? (natural or artificial)

• Yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters
Alrighty -- lets wrap this up so I can start another raffle :)

here are the final tallys as per my count -- please let me know if I missed someone / any votes. We'll make the draw tonight.

Thank you everyone!

- Archit

Old Glory: 8
wdebenedettojr: 8
MrX: 8
Docstach: 1
RiverRat: 8
mnavick: 4
karoly0829: 8
s_kelley: 8
CAPSLOCK: 4
Overlook reef: 8
Rentalcoot: 4
johnbarr: 4
Phinfan: 4
Cliff Tishler: 4
molo41: 8
Pdm2476: 4
moneypit: 4
wpeterson: 8
RichardinMA: 8
jdeb101: 4
freakit: 4
pbienkiewicz: 8
Ryan17: 4
stepho725: 8
Trevor: 8
Turbosnail: 1
ro_nicu: 8
Ba19Ma88: 4
cobraz: 4
Brimc: 4
Dfrontiero: 4
Chrissy: 8
Photiczoner: 4
Marshall O: 4
uhupong: 4
Technorch: 8
kotu100: 8

Winner is:

Chrissy

Please pm/email me for on info to how to claim your prize :)

=====================================================

Winner was selected via: http://www.miniwebtool.com/random-name-picker/

12175802874_fb1a79c2a4_z.jpg

found this older post when I was looking for suggestions on moonlight on my tank, currently leave on all night and was wondering if that was good or not. I see Archit mentioned doing some testing with multiple tanks but do not see any conclusions/recommendations from the survey or if the test was ever conducted and curious as it was a cool idea and wonder if it was followed through.

I don't follow the moon cycle, my timers allow me to simulate moonlight but it is a manual change to the timer settings to alter the cycle so I just leave them on.
I had the Ocean Revive LED's only which were a more blue moon light with a lot of glow from the corals and 2 weeks ago added a Reefbreeder photon 32" so now I have moved the Ocean revives OR IT2040 to each end of my 180 with RB Photon in the middle. The moonlight is much nicer from the RB not quite as blue but the corals still glow just the same, looks more natural to me so the ocean revives are on for 1 hour after lights out and the RB moonlights stay on all night and just wondering if I should consider cutting that back some.

found this older post when I was looking for suggestions on moonlight on my tank, currently leave on all night and was wondering if that was good or not. I see Archit mentioned doing some testing with multiple tanks but do not see any conclusions/recommendations from the survey or if the test was ever conducted and curious as it was a cool idea and wonder if it was followed through.

I don't follow the moon cycle, my timers allow me to simulate moonlight but it is a manual change to the timer settings to alter the cycle so I just leave them on.
I had the Ocean Revive LED's only which were a more blue moon light with a lot of glow from the corals and 2 weeks ago added a Reefbreeder photon 32" so now I have moved the Ocean revives OR IT2040 to each end of my 180 with RB Photon in the middle. The moonlight is much nicer from the RB not quite as blue but the corals still glow just the same, looks more natural to me so the ocean revives are on for 1 hour after lights out and the RB moonlights stay on all night and just wondering if I should consider cutting that back some.

The test was pretty in-conclusive at our house because this was around the time when we were looking into retail locations; so didn't get a chance to carry out to it's entirety. However we are doing this experiment again at our shop -- if you peek in through the window in our shop during night time, you'll see some tanks don't have any moonlights, a couple have bluer moon lights, and yet another couple of violet moon lights.

It's not been long enough to say much about what's working better or not:

- Our 125g tank facing the fish systems, which houses our favias, chalices, etc does not have any moon lights on it. My chalices in this tank are doing good -- decent growth
- Our last frag tank (closest to the 300g) has violet moon lights, and one of my favorite chalice that I've had for over 2 years (not for sale) has finally started taking off after being badly damaged during the move.
- Our middle frag tank has blue moon lights and I haven't seen any substantial growth on the chalices in this tank yet.

Please keep in mind, our test was designed to test the usefulness of "pods" ... and this theory hit me when we started adding rotifers, copepods etc to our home made food, and saw great color and puffiness response from our corals within 2 days. Our systems still being new, and our refugiums still being offline, we do not yet have the abundance of pods that I would like to be able to "truly" test the theory ... hopefully our refugiums will be online soon and we'll see better results :)

Thank you for bringing this thread up -- I had completely forgotten about it.

- Archit

The test was pretty in-conclusive at our house because this was around the time when we were looking into retail locations; so didn't get a chance to carry out to it's entirety. However we are doing this experiment again at our shop -- if you peek in through the window in our shop during night time, you'll see some tanks don't have any moonlights, a couple have bluer moon lights, and yet another couple of violet moon lights.

It's not been long enough to say much about what's working better or not:

- Our 125g tank facing the fish systems, which houses our favias, chalices, etc does not have any moon lights on it. My chalices in this tank are doing good -- decent growth
- Our last frag tank (closest to the 300g) has violet moon lights, and one of my favorite chalice that I've had for over 2 years (not for sale) has finally started taking off after being badly damaged during the move.
- Our middle frag tank has blue moon lights and I haven't seen any substantial growth on the chalices in this tank yet.

Please keep in mind, our test was designed to test the usefulness of "pods" ... and this theory hit me when we started adding rotifers, copepods etc to our home made food, and saw great color and puffiness response from our corals within 2 days. Our systems still being new, and our refugiums still being offline, we do not yet have the abundance of pods that I would like to be able to "truly" test the theory ... hopefully our refugiums will be online soon and we'll see better results :)

Thank you for bringing this thread up -- I had completely forgotten about it.

- Archit

Ha! I'm over here scrambling to get the information posted to win the raffle.... Glad I read your post before I did so.

I use my moon lights religiously. They are on a timer to turn on at 7pm and go off at 10 pm. It is the only time I'm home to appreciate the tank besides the weekends so I truly do appreciate the explosion of color brought on by the blue lights. I run my tank at approximately 79-80 degrees at night the temp may fall to 77 however everyone in the tank seems to be extremely healthy. It seems to me that a rather reasonable inference to make is that a slight decline in water temp at night is natural as long as it is not extreme. I do feed some of my corals at night like my scoly, my chalice, and my acans. When I feed I typically cut up pieces of frozen foods and directly place them I'm the corals tentacles using my hand. This way I decrease the amount of food going into the water And creating nitrates. In the frozen state it is still tangible. And of any manages to escape my shrimp or serpent stars are there to help clean up the mess. I also feed my frozen stars still frozen chunks of food and they love it because they can actually grab onto it. I feel like this improves growths acans always have new heads popping up. I feed my tank every other day Andy corals and anemones once to twice a week. My nitrates at the end of the week before I change the water are usually in the 5ppm range and I'd like to think that's very good considering I only use a 35 gallon rated skimmer and a filter sock with a reefugium. I change the sock every two days and this seems to works very well for me.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back