Recommendations for saltwater lights for a Red Sea Reefer 200 XL 53 gallons

Seapets

Formerly known as Mr Sea
BRS Member
I’m looking for lights for soft corals. i’m only doing mushrooms. anemones and all types of zoas. I like to stick with softy it’s because I’m constantly working six days a week.

Last edited:
Aquamaxx FC 80 is doing a great job on the 54 gallon we have. Price is right and quality is good. Sicce based pumps are super reliable

Aquamaxx FC 80 is doing a great job on the 54 gallon we have. Price is right and quality is good. Sicce based pumps are super reliable
Thank you I just don’t want to spend big money for a protein skimmer if I can find one that does the same thing for less money

Thank you I just don’t want to spend big money for a protein skimmer if I can find one that does the same thing for less money
You're welcome. That's absolutely why I purchased it myself, and every tank I've had in recent years has had an aquamaxx. They're priced well, and I've had very good experience with every one of them I've owned. I've had HOB 1.0&1.5, ConeS Q2, WS-1, FC-80, FC-180, and FC-280 all performed great and I've had zero pump failures. Still have all but the Q2 and 1.5

You're welcome. That's absolutely why I purchased it myself, and every tank I've had in recent years has had an aquamaxx. They're priced well, and I've had very good experience with every one of them I've owned. I've had HOB 1.0&1.5, ConeS Q2, WS-1, FC-80, FC-180, and FC-280 all performed great and I've had zero pump failures. Still have all but the Q2 and 1.5
Do they run quiet. I’m only asking because it’s my first time owning a brand new red sea I still don’t have it it’s on its way to be delivered to my house. It took me a couple of months to order it because Red Sea is backed up. because of the corona situation

My friend gave me a Nyos Quantum 120 and it is very quiet. Works well so far and only run on 8 watts of power. I am running it on a Red Sea Max C250.

Do they run quiet. I’m only asking because it’s my first time owning a brand new red sea I still don’t have it it’s on its way to be delivered to my house. It took me a couple of months to order it because Red Sea is backed up. because of the corona situation
Yes they are quiet, with the stand door shut hardly noticeable. For $180 to your door and a whopping 11w power consumption it's tough to beat at that price point

Nyos is quiet and good once dialed in. I prefer DC skimmers like the Simplicity line for the ease of adjusting and fine tuning the skimmer. I run both and they are about the same for noise.

Nyos is quiet and good once dialed in. I prefer DC skimmers like the Simplicity line for the ease of adjusting and fine tuning the skimmer. I run both and they are about the same for noise.
Why do you prefer DC skimmer I would love to know the difference

With the NYOS AC skimmer there are 2 factors that can be adjusted. These factors include adjusting the water level inside the skimmer body and adjusting the skimmer air intake. The Nyos has an air intake adjustment knob and a water setting pipe for water level adjustments with an additional water setting screw for finer water level height adjustments. Additionally, the skimmer body height within the water can be raised using a platform, eggcrate, or similar if needed - this applies to both AC and DC skimmers.

With the Simplicity DC skimmer there is an air intake adjustment and a basic water level adjustment, but there isn’t a micro fine water level adjustment. However, there is a DC pump speed setting (1-9 or 1-20 depending on the model) that affects both air intake and water level. This sounds like it would be more complicated and it is, at first. For me, it was quite difficult to dial in the Simpicity skimmer, but once dialed in I’ve found that it is much easier to keep the DC skimmer producing the desired foam and skimmate without overflowing the collection cup. With the Nyos I’ve had the collection cup overflow several times because of accidentally brushing the micro fine adjustment knob. I could probably prevent this from happening by taping it to prevent it from moving.

There is another pro to the Simplicity DC in that the powder cord is connected to a control box and can be easily disconnected when it’s time to clean the skimmer body. This could also be a con since there is another part that can break.

The Simplicity hasn’t been without problems. In 3 years I’ve had to email Simplicity support on two different occasions to have the impeller housing cover replaced and the impeller replaced. Both times they sent out replacement parts at no charge even when past the warranty period. In comparison, I’ve had the NYOS for over 2 years without any mechanical problems.

Last edited:
With the NYOS AC skimmer there are 2 factors that can be adjusted. These factors include adjusting the water level inside the skimmer body and adjusting the skimmer air intake. The Nyos has an air intake adjustment knob and a water setting pipe for water level adjustments with an additional water setting screw for finer water level height adjustments. Additionally, the skimmer body height within the water can be raised using a platform, eggcrate, or similar if needed - this applies to both AC and DC skimmers.

With the Simplicity DC skimmer there is an air intake adjustment and a basic water level adjustment, but there isn’t a micro fine water level adjustment. However, there is a DC pump speed setting (1-9 or 1-20 depending on the model) that affects both air intake and water level. This sounds like it would be more complicated and it is, at first. For me, it was quite difficult to dial in the Simpicity skimmer, but once dialed in I’ve found that it is much easier to keep the DC skimmer producing the desired foam and skimmate without overflowing the collection cup. With the Nyos I’ve had the collection cup overflow several times because of accidentally brushing the micro fine adjustment knob. I could probably prevent this from happening by taping it to prevent it from moving.

There is another pro to the Simplicity DC in that the powder cord is connected to a control box and can be easily disconnected when it’s time to clean the skimmer body. This could also be a con since there is another part that can break.

The Simplicity hasn’t been without problems. In 3 years I’ve had to email Simplicity support on two different occasions to have the impeller housing cover replaced and the impeller replaced. Both times they sent out replacement parts at no charge even when past the warranty period. In comparison, I’ve had the NYOS for over 2 years without any mechanical problems.
So you guys telling me I better off buying a NYOS

So you guys telling me I better off buying a NYOS
Can't say if you're better off, as I've never owned a NYOS..... But I also have never had an aquamaxx be a failure point on my aquarium. I've had a few reef octopus skimmers and had two pumps fail. In near 3 years never had a failure with an aquamaxx skimmer since switching. If you want to spend the money, or put it to use elsewhere was my decision making factor. I've never felt let down or like I had an underperforming product with Aquamaxx.

The NYOS looks pretty and hasn’t had any mechanical problems, but I’d still recommend a DC skimmer over the NYOS because of the ability to ramp up or down the power of the skimmer pump.

The NYOS is also twice the price of a similar Simplicity, but doesn’t seem to be twice better than the Simplicity.

Supposedly the newer Simplicity skimmers have a redesigned impeller that won’t warp over time. That is what they told me when they sent out the free replacement impeller out of warranty (I offered to pay for the part). To add to that, Simplicity support has been fantastic and on both occasions they priority mailed the replacement part which I received in a couple of days.

In comparison, I’ve bought 3 different Clearview lids and spent over $1000 on their lids. The most recent lid has a sagging problem, but they’re still “getting back to me” since I contacted them back on January, under warranty. I’ve contacted Clearview 3 times, but they are “extremely busy and will get back to me”.

I also bought a 2nd Simplicity skimmer and that one hasn’t had any problems since I bought it over a year ago.

Last edited:
The NYOS looks pretty and hasn’t had any mechanical problems, but I’d still recommend a DC skimmer over the NYOS because of the ability to ramp up or down the power of the skimmer pump.

The NYOS is also twice the price of a similar Simplicity, but doesn’t seem to be twice better than the Simplicity.

Supposedly the newer Simplicity skimmers have a redesigned impeller that won’t warp over time. That is what they told me when they sent out the free replacement impeller out of warranty (I offered to pay for the part). To add to that, Simplicity support has been fantastic and on both occasions they priority mailed the replacement part which I received in a couple of days.

In comparison, I’ve bought 3 different Clearview lids and spent over $1000 on their lids. The most recent lid has a sagging problem, but they’re still “getting back to me” since I contacted them back on January, under warranty. I’ve contacted Clearview 3 times, but they are “extremely busy and will get back to me”.

I also bought a 2nd Simplicity skimmer and that one hasn’t had any problems since I bought it over a year ago.
Thanks for the information it’s true it’s twice the price nyos

Can't say if you're better off, as I've never owned a NYOS..... But I also have never had an aquamaxx be a failure point on my aquarium. I've had a few reef octopus skimmers and had two pumps fail. In near 3 years never had a failure with an aquamaxx skimmer since switching. If you want to spend the money, or put it to use elsewhere was my decision making factor. I've never felt let down or like I had an underperforming product with Aquamaxx.
I’d rather not spend the money and go for something that’s not so expensive just like the one you recommended with the slimmer body Aquamaxx

Thanks for the information I also don’t wanna spend more than $200 on a protein skimmer because if a $200 proteins, does the job I’d rather go with that price

Thank you for the recommendation I went with aquamaxx FC-80

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back