Recommendations on lfs or public displays to visit around Boston

Maroun

Non-member
Hi all,
My name is Maroun and I've been reefing since more than 20 years. Im from Beirut-Lebanon but Will be in Boston for 5 days next week. I'd be interested in recommendations about Lfs to visit or any public displays or if it happens that theres any club meeting next week I would be happy to join. Would love to find a few nice frags to fly back with as well. Finally if anyone is available for a coffee and to talk reefs or maybe a lfs or tank tour that would be great.
Hers couple pics of my 400 G
20200214_165829.jpg

20200214_170011.jpg

Thanks for any help.andmlooking forward to visit and.meet anyone who is available next week..

There is the New England Aquarium in Boston. It is a must see if you have the time.
Unfortunately, not the place to go if you are looking for Reefs ): any tank with live Coral at the aquaroum is in sad shape. And they only have 3-4 tanks out of all of them that have any live Coral. Complete disgrace for a public aquarium of their stature to let their tanks go like that. And even bigger disgrace is they hardley have ANY info about the state of the reefs and the importance of this fragile ecosystem to our planet and our survival on it.
To boot, their newest "Reef" display is a 20' tank full if Reef Fish and fake Coral ‍♂️, which replaced a once beautiful thriving reef tank.

Unfortunately, not the place to go if you are looking for Reefs ): any tank with live Coral at the aquaroum is in sad shape. And they only have 3-4 tanks out of all of them that have any live Coral. Complete disgrace for a public aquarium of their stature to let their tanks go like that. And even bigger disgrace is they hardley have ANY info about the state of the reefs and the importance of this fragile ecosystem to our planet and our survival on it.
To boot, their newest "Reef" display is a 20' tank full if Reef Fish and fake Coral ‍♂, which replaced a once beautiful thriving reef tank.

Couldnt agree more..

I visited New England Aquarium 4 times (against my better judgement after the 1st visit) in last 5-6 years. I always find it dark, crowded and uninviting. There is hardly any real corals in there and I am not a fan of the rounding walkway around their central attraction which as SaltwaterB said is full of fake corals... When they renovated it few years back, they marketed it as a reef display on Facebook, displaying complete lack of understanding on what "reef" means.

The New England aquarium doesnt even come close to other public aquariums in Atlanta, Monterey bay etc. Even the Sea World in Orlando has better reef setups than the New England Aquarium.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back