Red Sea max 250 lighting

Reefman603

Non-member
So I’m thinking of removing the light canopy on my Red Sea max 250.. and replacing it with two AI prime 16HD’s to get the color spectrum/ fluorescence I’m looking for and I just in general prefer the look and adjustment capabilities with the leds vs T5, looking for opinions ? Thanks

78914DEE-81FA-4579-934F-73DC85DA3A1A.jpeg

I liked the look of the original RSMs with the canopy and T5 lights. I’d hesitate to go from 6 T5s (234 watts total) with great, even coverage down to 2 AI prime HD (110 watts total) with downward directional lighting. Have you thought about switching out some bulbs with different colors? Maybe do a canopy hack to get hybrid T5 / LED lighting, if possible. Or maybe a hybrid T5 fixture like the Aquaticlife.

Gotta agree with what was stated above. If you do decide to get rid of the hood and go the led route, the hybrid options would be best as you’ll find you might not get the coverage you want from the primes alone.

if you go the hybrid route you get the best of both with the led pop and fluorescence, and the coverage/reduced shadowing of the t5s. If my nano was bigger than 18” wide I’d put the aquatic life over it in a heartbeat because I suffer with some shadowing with just the hydra 32 over it but wouldn’t be able to stand the overhang of the 24” aquatic life.

I agree with the previous two posts that dropping from 6 t5 at 240w to two Prime with 110w is dramatic.
The best option is to use two AI prime 16HD with an Aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 hybrid.

In this case, the 4 t5 will provide 156w of evenly diffused light and the two primes will provide 110w of pop. You can run the primes at less power because LED has more par per watt than t5.

Please note that you need to purchase the AI prime hanging kits to mount the primes on Aquaticlife t5 hybrid.

Now comes the commercial, I carry new AI prime16HD and happen to have a used 36 inch Aquaticlife t5 hybrid available.

The new AI Prime16HD has very significant improvements over previous generations of Primes. Consider the low price of AI Prime 16HD, personally I don’t think it is cost effective to buy previous generations of AI Prime.

Last edited:
There is another option:
I assume the hood has two banks of t5, one bank is two bulbs and another bank is 4 bulbs.
If this is the case, you can remove the two t5 and mount two 36 inch led bars.
As a Reefbreeders retailer, I will suggest one 36 inch Royal Ice Luminbar and one HO Actinic Luminbar.

There is another option:
I assume the hood has two banks of t5, one bank is two bulbs and another bank is 4 bulbs.
If this is the case, you can remove the two t5 and mount two 36 inch led bars.
As a Reefbreeders retailer, I will suggest one 36 inch Royal Ice Luminbar and one HO Actinic Luminbar.
You could also go with the ultimate color pop and shimmer combo of using Reefbreeders bars along with Kessils. I had this combo on my newest tank and the tank looked “alive”.

A 32 inch Reefbreeders photon V2+ is an excellent solution. One powercord, one fixture, problem solved.
i have one brand new 32 inch photon V2+ in stock, they are in shortage due to the current situation.

There are other advantages for Photon v2+,
I. They use Cree, Semi, Osram chips as the ones used in AI and Radion. So you get more for your money.

2. The failure rate is very low due to effective cooling. The heat sink area of Photon V2+ is several times bigger than the others. That makes the LED last a lot longer.

3. Two years warranty. And I am local, you don’t have to wait for at least 2 weeks without light like other manufacturers.

4. Reefbreeders photon v2+ comes with mounting legs AND hanging kits. These are $$$$ for other manufacturers.

5.I can program your light before you pickup, since the led fixture remembers all the setting even unplugged, you can just mount it on your tank and plug in the fixture and good to go.

6.If you purchase the fixture from me or from Reefbreeders website (proof of purchase required if you buy directly from Reefbreeders ), I will provide you tech support and service. Also, a loaner light when your unit is in service.

I. They use Cree, Semi, Osram chips as the ones used in AI and Radion. So you get more for your money.

2. The failure rate is very low due to effective cooling. The heat sink area of Photon V2+ is several times bigger than the others. That makes the LED last a lot longer.

3. Two years warranty. And I am local, you don’t have to wait for at least 2 weeks without light like other manufacturers.

4. Reefbreeders photon v2+ comes with mounting legs AND hanging kits. These are $$$$ for other manufacturers.

5.I can program your light before you pickup, since the led fixture remembers all the setting even unplugged, you can just mount it on your tank and plug in the fixture and good to go.

6.If you purchase the fixture from me or from Reefbreeders website (proof of purchase required if you buy directly from Reefbreeders ), I will provide you tech support and service. Also, a loaner light when your unit is in service.
Are you still selling the reefbreeders? How much do you sell for, can you ship and can you preprogram for me? I also have a RSM 250 and I'm looking as well to chuck a new LED into my existing hood. It's between the reefbreeder, Kessil AP700 and Steve's LEDs at the moment. I've looked at a few others but these 3 seem to be the best options.

Are you still selling the reefbreeders? How much do you sell for, can you ship and can you preprogram for me? I also have a RSM 250 and I'm looking as well to chuck a new LED into my existing hood. It's between the reefbreeder, Kessil AP700 and Steve's LEDs at the moment. I've looked at a few others but these 3 seem to be the best options.
Yes I sell Reefbreeders led and I can preprogram them for you. Please txt me at 978-505-8232 or message me on this site. Thank you very much

I bought my light from Dong at Acro - highly recommended!!

Back