Red sea nopox

I’ve used it for years. Effective at controling nitrates. I dose it with a dosing pump. Start low and work your way up. It’s easy to overdose (you get pink stringy stuff in your sump). I think it’s a bit risky to run it to close to zero nirtrates; I aim for about 2.0 and its easy to get that dialed in.

I used it for a while but noticed alot of red algae on my sand bed so I stopped. Once I stopped red algae is 90% gone.

For a 120 tank andv40 breeder how much should I dose

I have a 200 gallon, 50 gallon sump, 30 gallon frag tank. I use 8 ml nopox once a day, but it all depends on how much nutrients you’re putting into system and other forms of nutrient export.
For nopox to work, you need to run protein skimmer.

I started dosing a DIY NoPo-X formula about 4 months ago: 590ml Vinegar (5% acetic acid) to 410ml Vodka (80 proof) for 1L solution.

I had a bad algae break out on my sand bed that I had been fighting for about a year. NoPo-X had it cleared out in about 5 weeks. I have been dosing 4 mls daily for my reefer 350, which is about half the recommended dose. I have been wet skimming.,

I started dosing a DIY NoPo-X formula about 4 months ago: 590ml Vinegar (5% acetic acid) to 410ml Vodka (80 proof) for 1L solution.

I had a bad algae break out on my sand bed that I had been fighting for about a year. NoPo-X had it cleared out in about 5 weeks. I have been dosing 4 mls daily for my reefer 350, which is about half the recommended dose. I have been wet skimming.,

Is that to make your own nopox? Or in addition to their solution?

Yes, that is the DIY recipe (not in addition)
There are a few threads on R2R about it.

I would go with
Nopox's ratio for 1L using no water is 590ml Vinegar to 410ml Vodka

Or what I liked even better is a ratio from another member that has been mixing vodka and vinegar well before NoPOX came out.

TMZ's ratio for 1L is 690ml Vinegar to 310ml Vodka

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nopox-recipe.322503/

Last edited:
Yes, nopox is just a very expensive mix of vinegar and vodka.
There is no evidence nor scientific basis of this mix can be better than vinegar or vodka itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that Nopox causes issues with acrylic dosing containers (I haven't seen it). Will the DIY cause the same issue?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back