Reef HD against algae

The common thought of it spreading once popped is wrong. It spreads by tissue settling on stuff not with spores. When a emerald eats them he pops them,tears them. They don’t fit whole in his mouth lol. The desjardini tang does the same. Popping them with the reef hd will definitely help though.

Since there is an anti fungal in the water , popping then would not have as much of an adverse affect at this point no?

So if you pop them the reefhd might have more of an affect. Not sure how scientific this is but an idea I just had.

Have either of you read anything that would suggest this to be good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an excellent question! Thank you for asking, this one of the reasons I documented this study/treatment.

Hard to study (need a very controlled system and experimental design). Based on the mechanism of action of fluconazole, my working theory and limited experimental data (anecdotal) is that popping BA does not result in an increase in BA in the presence of a 4X dose of fluconazole. It is also possible that the old wives tale of popping and spores is not true. Again, very hard to scientifically prove, without a controlled study.

My supporting data is that prior to treatment various frag plugs would grow BA. During treatment with fluconazole, with the aggressive removal of BA, no new BA appeared on frag plugs. My opinion is that treatment of BA with ReefFlux (fluconazole 4X dose) is the best control for BA outbreaks. There have been no serious adverse events (coral. fish or invert effects) and only minor, temporary coral irritation related to particulates due to the low solubility of fluconazole when dosing.

More to come.

Day Twenty-two update:

Following the second dose, some polyp closure has been observed.

7ddc98a31e0db3338db5c89b42e2990d.jpg

8565f7b317bc906617654c4fa3900017.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not nearly as much as the first time, not as diligent as last time. I also believe this could be the cause. The same concentration of last time; and whisked periodically over 3 hrs. Next time (if I need to repeat again or down the road) I would definitely consider dissolving with gentle heating and would be even better with a stir plate. I might as well make the solution at work. :)

I did the same thing the second go around and had the same outcome lol
First time I mixed it over a hour, second time probably 10 minutes lol

Obviously, the effect was temporary in your case. How long did it last? a couple days? It has been about 15 hrs. They just look a little pissed; no other negative signs and I am not too concerned.

A day or so, was mostly the zoas that were bothered. Sps and Gonis didn’t get fazed
Ps my bta as well closed up for a day

Same here. Monti a little, torch/hammers/ducans short, only certian species of mushrooms and zoas (interesting not all), acans a little. BTA was most interesting. It got really 'firm' at first, not like other times when they are pissed and just shrink or invert themselves.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back