Reef Hydraulics & Fluid Mechanics

Matt L.

Non-member
I just wanted to thank everyone for showing up to the meeting today and sitting through what normally is such dry material. I hope that everyone's perspective on their reef plumbing changed at least a little bit.

This is an open discussion, and I am more than happy to continue the discussion here on the forum or through additional presentations that could be posted here.

In the mean time, here is the slideshow from today saved as a powerpoint show. The show takes up much less space than the presentation. If anyone is in dire need of the original presentation, just contact me.

Presentation from April 30, 2005

Also, I have included the word document that contains the pipe sizing table.(attached below)
You will need Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Word, and a way to unzip the word document file.

Thank you all again, and I'm happy to give back to the club,

Matt:cool:

Attachments

• pipe tables.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,423
Last edited by a moderator:
Great because I will deffinetly have questions trying to figure out what size pvc I should be useing for my return

getting this for the pipe layout page??

Page Not Found

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.

The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.

Maybe I was just being an e-tard...

...but the download of the pipe tables should work now. I am not sure why it didn't work before, but all I did was delete the file on the FTP site and upload the same file again. Something was acting funny with that *.zip file, but it should work now,

Matty:cool:

I try to open the table and get "invalid file", also I don't have Power Point so it's a no go for me as much as I would like to read the presentation.

Jim

Good presentation, Matt.
Best thing I took home from the lesson was how to figure the head pressure: it's the top of the tank water to the top of the sump's water - doesn't matter much what's in between (ignoring frictional losses).

Moe_K said:
Good presentation, Matt.
Best thing I took home from the lesson was how to figure the head pressure: it's the top of the tank water to the top of the sump's water - doesn't matter much what's in between (ignoring frictional losses).

brown noser in front of the class :)

I also wanted to thank you Matt for the great presentation. It was very interesting
and did shed some light on certian situations I had when setting my tank up, to bad the presentation wasn't 3 months ago :)

Thanks again

Moe_K said:
Good presentation, Matt.

one other thing I learned is that you can and may need to upsize the return pipe/hose size even if the output on the pump is small. ive been using the 3/8 hose just because it fits on my pump.

Okay, so this is in the DIY forum now. Okay. Thatw as my second guess as to where to put this thread.

In the mean time, thank you everyone for your positive feedback. I have started to work on an addendum to the meeting lecture focusing specifically on computation of static head differential for closed loop and return from sump pumps, based on Moe's comment. It should be ready in a day or two,

Matt, can you explain to the bonehead who was sitting next to me at the meeting ;) that there won't be more static head pressure on a pump with 10 feet of vertical 6" pipe on the discharge than there will be on the same pump with 10 feet of 1" pipe on it? It's not dependent on the total weight of water, right? It's the weight per area (pounds per square inch) that determines the static head pressure, right?

Thanks,
Nate

Nate,

Yes, no matter what the size or shape of the pipe, nor how many convolusions it must take to reach a vertical of 10ft, as long as the pipe is full and the water, the static head differential is 10 feet.

Yes, when you start thinking of pressure intensity as caused by the weight of the water above bearing down, you may get confused, but the short answer is: pressure is per unit area. It has to do with pressure being a scalar quantity and pressure from adjacent, infinitesimal packets cancelling each other out.

I learned (when I went home and ran some calculations) that even with a PhD in chemical engineering (some have called the profession glorified plumbers), I still sized the return lines from my pumps too small...DOH. Should have used 1" or larger (used 3/4), looks like I'll loose about 15% of my pumps capacity that I should have had.

For those of us who do not have MS office programs or powerpoint, OpenOffice is a free download (65 Mb, not small but free). Http://www.openoffice.org/ is the link, yes it does open powerpoint presentations and MS word, etc...
It is free under the GNU public license.

Sorry Matt, Back to the topic. Looks like I missed a real good one too.

Steve

Better Late than Never...

I know I promised it to you guys in just a few days, but if you click here, you can download an addendum to the presentation given that deals specifically with computing te static head differential in many reef applications.

Back