Reef radiance x1 genesis

mrcote1

Non-member
Anyone else buy the new reef radiance x1 genesis LED? I love the color of them and the ease of use. All my corals bleach though about a week after being added to the tank and they stay bleached with slight polyp extension but they are very slowly growing(even my rbta and all sps)
The tank has been up and running for 10 months. So i was wondering if anyone else had to take a long time to acclimate corals to those lights

Also i have cyano bacteria which is weird because my phosphates and nitrates test 0

All params are as follows (in case the lighr s arent my issue)
Magnesium. 1420ppm
Calcium. 440 ppm
Nitrate. 0 ppm
Phosphate. 0 ppm
KH. 125 ppm
Dkh. 7
Ph. 8.0
Copper. 0.13 ppm

Im using a hanna checker, and my corals arent dead and i have a healthy cleaner shrimp and none of my snails ever die, so im not sure if its just an error in the checker. Ive used all dry rock and sand and qt everything and never cross contaminate. I also use rodi for my own filter which i change the cartridges like im supposed to. So im not sure. I ordered a poly filter just in case but at 0.1ppm i would assume my corals and snails would all be dead if it was really at that level?

Yea thats what im thinking too, but not being able to keep any coral looking good and when i first started adding coral i lost a few is driving me nuts. I even added a frogspawn to see if maybe lps would do better and it died pretty fast. But like i said i have a shrimp and snails and a starfish that are very healthy

I remember we discussed about these led several month before when you just purchased them.
Do you find the App that allows you to control these led?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I actually emailed Rick and he sent me the schedule for the lighting. They are pre programmed. I love the color and the way the light brightens and dims throughout the day. If anyone wants the lighting schedule for these let me know and ill post it. I asked him about the par and he said they put out 396 par at 30" depth. My tank is 22" deep about and i have 2 lights over my 75 about 7 inches off the water. So i dont think thats too bright for SPS? But im still getting severe bleaching with all coral (i dont acclimate them to the lighting since I figured there was no need)

Holy crap...

That’s some high par. If the corals are anywhere off the bottom of your tank they are getting bleached out because of that I would think.

You might be getting 1000 par mid tank. You should really test for par/dial them back if that is the case.

Dong what par do you run your tanks at?

I have no way of confirming the par myself though. But if that is the case, then can I just throw like some paper under the lights to lower the intensity or will that throw off the Spectrum and be harmful to the coral as well

The reason they came "pre-programmed" is they no longer have the App for whatever reason.
396 par at 30 inch depth will bleach a lot of coral. Even the light loving acro only take 300 to 350 par. From Dana Riddle's studies, there is such thing as too much light.

I emailed reef radiance to see if they have more readings because maybe im remembering wrong. It wouldnt make sense to design and build a light with reef in its name that is far too bright for any coral. I wish I had the ability to tear the lights apart and program them myself

Their led are programmable, with the correct app. I don’t know why they did not give you the app at the first place.

Just noticed on their website that they state it has 396 par at 30 inches which is more than enough to grow any coral... Since i dont have a par meter I am unable to test any solutions without being able to reprogram the lights. Would putting one light in the center of my tank and getting rid of the second one be my best solution? Or should i throw pieces of paper under the lights to dim them?

Can you raise the led above water to at least 16 inch?

Par at 396 at 30 inch also have more than enough light to bleach and kill many coral.

That is a bummer, ask them to send you the app, if they said their app is only available on their phone/ipad/space ship, ask them to lent you the device.

Sent the message asking about the app or programming software they use. If for some reason this cant be done maybe ill just put black tape over 2 or 3 of the white and blue LEDs on the acryllic sheet that protects the LED bulbs from splash. Or even taking the fixture apart and removing some of the LEDs all together to lower power consumption. I feel like that would be feasible options?

Screenshot_20180621-093034_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20180621-093034_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

There is the lighting schedule as well. Even though the corals are only recieving high par for a short amount of time would this still create issues?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back