Reef Tank Build Half Way Across The World

omarkattan

Arabian Reefer
Greetings everybody,

It has a while since I’ve been on here since i broke down my tanks a few years ago. Well now I’m back at it except i moved out of Boston and now I’m in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia. Since i got back i slowly started to put my dad’s tank back into action. (I’ll be posting pics later) now that’s the old news. i have since bought a tank from a fellow reefer here that i plan on setting up in the next month or so, I’d like to share the build with all of my BRS members and receive guidance where you feel it’s needed.

To break things down

My Currant Tank

1.60 gallon cube + 20 gallon Sump
2.1 Radion XR30
3.1 Vortech MP40
4.Apex with most of the bells and whistles
5.Super reef octopus XP1000sss skimmer and neck cleaner
6.2 TLF 150 Reactors one for GFO one for Carbon

The New Tank

1.157 Gallon DIM aprox 4ft X 3ft X 22in High
2.2 Radion Gen3 XR30 pro
3.2 Vortech MP40
4.Apex with most of the bells and whistles
5.Skimmer still haven’t decided but possibly the Super reef octopus Regal 300SSS
6.2 TLF 150 Reactors one for GFO one for Carbon
7.The sump I still need to calculate how much water it holds but is divided in 3 sections

1st For Skimmer filter socks and reactors 2nd for Fuge or Frag Tank 3rd Return pump

The main thing I’m stressing is the cleanliness of the set up I would like to eliminate as many hoses as I can as my current tank is a disaster, so everything will be hard plumed.

The second dilemma is that I have been thinking to make the fuge area in the sump a frag tank and light it with my old radion what do you guys think about that. And that will only happen if I can’t fit my currant tank next to the new one and switch it to a frag tank, hopefully I can fit it and plumb both tanks into the new sump but I’m very doubtful that can happen.

Current Tank ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435814756.838385.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

That new tank is a beast! I would recommend putting a union on both sides of the valve in case ever needs to be replaced.

Looks real nice.

I'd try to get rid of that check valve if at all possible though.

Why so John ? I'm just trying to avoid disasters.

Also do you guys think 80 pounds of sand would be good or is it too lil

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the calculator. Looks like I'm Gona need a few more bags. I also like the look of a sand bed over bare bottom tanks. But I like a decent depth at least 1.5 inches I think 1 inch is to lil plus I'm using a fine sand

Sent from my iPhone

Oops posted the same picture twice. And still waiting to receive 2 more radions. And a new skimmer

Sent from my iPhone

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back