Refugium lighting

Chrisnnemo

Non-member
Just set up my first diy sump/ refugium. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced light? It’s a 20 gl long. Refugium section is 10”x12”x9”high

Thanks dong. I just spied an innovative marine aQua gadget magnafuge magnetic refugium led light on craigslist a few minutes ago. Any experience with those?

Just set up my first diy sump/ refugium. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced light? It’s a 20 gl long. Refugium section is 10”x12”x9”high
I have the same melody round growing light 25 bucks on eBay really great

Attachments

• 29BF3731-B42E-4D16-92D9-7BD8F7E34A7F.png
    29BF3731-B42E-4D16-92D9-7BD8F7E34A7F.png
    441 KB · Views: 251
Back in the day I just used a cheap Home Depot work light holder with the clamp and a florescent daylight flood bulb.
Chaeto growth was awesome in a 20L refugium. Run on an opposite time as the display tank.

Using high power led definitely gives great result. The theory is that: in order to allow the algae in the refugium out compete algae inside the display tank for excess nutrient, a higher power light is needed, yes it can be more powerful per square inch of water surface (for a much smaller area) than the display tank.
It also take advantage of that algae can benefit from higher PAR without going photo saturation and photo inhibition than coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that said, please dont rely on the sellers wattage rating to choose LED. It is like a scam that many sellers on amazon and ebay over inflate the wattage of their products by as much as 300%.
I always use a kill-a-watt meter to see how much electricity a fixture draw when installing a new led light.

That 36w bulb is only about 14w.

I use a maxisun dimmable 300 watt grow light, it runs cool I harvest 3 gallons of chato every 2 weeks and my ph rises at night.
IMG_0584.JPG

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back