Reminder

Mixed Reefer

BRS Member
Just want to talk reef maintenance and the importance. Time goes by and we put maintenance aside, we’re all guilty at some point. For me this happens around the holidays or summer months when the weather is nice. I actually log everything that I do in my tank, it’s very important in my opinion to be able to look back and see the last time I cleaned a return pump or maybe added carbon etc. I actually even log when I add a coral or fish. Writing in my log or logging notes on my apex helps me a ton. Maintaining our equipment keeps it in good condition and gives us a chance to see possible future problems in our systems. I’ve added a picture of a return pump that I cleaned today. It’s three months since last cleaning. Pretty disgusting if you asked me. But that’s not it! So what I noticed was some gurgling sounds and it made me think. Why is this happening? Well my answer after cleaning the return pump is that it was not performing 100% due to the debris or build up inside pump. So clean your equipment. Here’s a list of maintenance that I do on my aquarium and a picture of my system. What do you for maintenance? Anything different? Enjoy, and clean your sh**! Happy Reefing everyone!!❤️
-Once a week 10% water change
-daily test alkalinity
-once a week test p04 MG Alk Cal N03
-observation daily
-clean equipment pumps skimmer etc ever 3 months
-clean reflectors t5 every four months
-vacuumed once a week shallow sand bed
-every three days filter socks, yeah I need to replace with fleece roller. Time consuming
-back wall and glass once a week
-Pax Bellum clean every two weeks and harvest
-fill ATO reservoir once a week
-power heads, switch out and clean once a week. Rotating
- turkey baste rocks every other day
- watch fish and corals and have an adult beverage and enjoy
F79F1FA1-4749-4B4A-BE56-4219D5823BC6.jpeg
D265E050-2C74-43EE-BCB2-5832A909C733.jpeg
555A6A16-19E1-44CF-8B2E-CA406F2C6997.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just want to talk reef maintenance and the importance. Time goes by and we put maintenance aside, we’re all guilty at some point. For me this happens around the holidays or summer months when the weather is nice. I actually log everything that I do in my tank, it’s very important in my opinion to be able to look back and see the last time I cleaned a return pump or maybe added carbon etc. I actually even log when I add a coral or fish. Writing in my log or logging notes on my apex helps me a ton. Maintaining our equipment keeps it in good condition and gives us a chance to see possible future problems in our systems. I’ve added a picture of a return pump that I cleaned today. It’s three months since last cleaning. Pretty disgusting if you asked me. But that’s not it! So what I noticed was some gurgling sounds and it made me think. Why is this happening? Well my answer after cleaning the return pump is that it was not performing 100% due to the debris or build up inside pump. So clean your equipment. Here’s a list of maintenance that I do on my aquarium and a picture of my system. What do you for maintenance? Anything different? Enjoy, and clean your sh**! Happy Reefing everyone!!❤️
-daily test alkalinity
-observation daily
-every three days filter socks, yeah I need to replace with fleece roller. Time consuming
- watch fish and corals and have an adult beverage and enjoyView attachment 170615View attachment 170616View attachment 170617View attachment 170618View attachment 170619View attachment 170620View attachment 170621
Beautiful reef! What size/brand?

Maintenance slips at times but I try to be consistent. 20% wc biweekly testing weekly. I have a Nuvo 20 and getting the return pump out is a PIA. Always last on my list to clean.

Beautiful reef! What size/brand?

Maintenance slips at times but I try to be consistent. 20% wc biweekly testing weekly. I have a Nuvo 20 and getting the return pump out is a PIA. Always last on my list to clean.
Hey @Chlorinated thanks! I owned a Nuvo 20. That was my first aquarium. Loved it. I ran my Nuvo with two returns. I hear you, a little tight back in there. Great tank. My new tank is the Red Sea 425. Now get in there and clean your pump! Lol.

I spent so much time pruning briopsis and vermatid snails this morning that I skipped my planned 50% WC. Maybe I made the right choice, maybe not. It’s can be a bit much sometimes.
Your hard work is paying off, your tank looks fantastic!!

Hey @Chlorinated thanks! I owned a Nuvo 20. That was my first aquarium. Loved it. I ran my Nuvo with two returns. I hear you, a little tight back in there. Great tank. My new tank is the Red Sea 425. Now get in there and clean your pump! Lol.
Oh I clean it, just not as often as I probably should lol. Can't wait to upgrade, but the 20 has treated me well.

Yup. I was caught with my pants down recently on maintenance. Since the CWC and skimmer drained into a 5G bucket, I rarely have to do anything other than feeding the fish.
found this on the weekend. Not sure how long it has been but yup. $300 salinity probe.
CEE979E0-EB69-4772-98EA-A8DAFAB4F2E8.jpeg

Yup. I was caught with my pants down recently on maintenance. Since the CWC and skimmer drained into a 5G bucket, I rarely have to do anything other than feeding the fish.
found this on the weekend. Not sure how long it has been but yup. $300 salinity probe.
View attachment 170652
It seems like weekends and holidays are the time for things to break. What a PITA! Glad you found it

The thing was that it was reading the correct salinity if the tank so I never thought of checking the probes. It just happened that I needed something in that chamber and found the orange stain.

I spent so much time pruning briopsis and vermatid snails this morning that I skipped my planned 50% WC. Maybe I made the right choice, maybe not. It’s can be a bit much sometimes.
Your hard work is paying off, your tank looks fantastic!!
You’ll get it. Keep plugging away. Vermatid snails stink. Pain in the but. Next tank I’ll quarantine corals before adding. One mistake I deal with. It does get easier though.

A friend of mine just sent me this pic after losing about 4k in SPS and fish, make sure y'all check those magnets. This is the last Jebao powerhead he had to change out and figured maybe he should clean it while waiting on the replacement.
messages_0.jpeg

A friend of mine just sent me this pic after losing about 4k in SPS and fish, make sure y'all check those magnets. This is the last Jebao powerhead he had to change out and figured maybe he should clean it while waiting on the replacement.
View attachment 170967
Crazy @BiGGiePauls33 . I’ve read one rusty screw can play havoc on tank. Just another thing to check. But on the other hand if your doing maintenance regularly you’ll see most of the problems before they become a bigger problem. Right!?

-daily test alkalinity
-observation daily
- watch fish and corals and have an adult beverage and enjoyView attachment 170615View attachment 170616View attachment 170617View attachment 170618View attachment 170619View attachment 170620View attachment 170621
Thanks for the reminder. I just went to town on my Jebao wave makers and return pump. I feel like return pump was slowing down. Maybe just old, but now I know.
Killed several mini brittle stars, but what can you do…

Back