Removing bta from rock

sutton6989

BRS Member
Whats the best and most important safest way for the nem to remove it from my rockwork. It's getting far to big for my small tank and I need space. Cannot get my rock out as it's all cemented together.

You can point a powerhead at them, usually makes them loosen thier grip for me.

I've also been told to rub an icecube on the foot of the nem , never tried this method but supposedly works.

Small tube (pvc or something), slightly larger than the nem base, with notches cut in the top.

Place the tube over the nem (poke it/make it mad so it shrinks up), use elastics/etc. on the notches at the top of the tube to hold it against the rocks.

Nem will get mad(der), look for light, and if you're lucky climb up to the top of the tube. You may need to do something, like a skirt, on the bottom of the tube so the nem climbs up.

Remove tube and nem.

I’ve found that a lot of patience and massaging the foot of the anemone always works for me. I’ve moved them countless times without ever loosing any. You just gotta start massaging the foot and the nem will start to close up a bit, then just keep working one side (whichever side is most visible). Eventually the edge of the foot will slowly start to lift off of the rock the slightest bit. Don’t ever pull, just keep massaging the edge and working it until you can fit a finger under the foot and then keep massaging until eventually more and more of the foot loosens and before you know it you’ll have it off the rock. It just takes a lot of time and is tricky but if I can do it with at one point an eel, lionfish and foxface then you can as well!

Whats the best and most important safest way for the nem to remove it from my rockwork. It's getting far to big for my small tank and I need space. Cannot get my rock out as it's all cemented together.
Such a PITA! I’ve removed a bunch, but some can be freaking stubborn. The best way and yes I have tried them all is to use a power head. It takes time, sometimes hours so be patient. I take the power head and attach it to glass using suction cups that are normally attached to the base of pump. I cut a small piece of vinyl tubing long enough to direct the flow directly at the foot of anemone. Keep checking and directing the flow of pump at foot if necessary. You will see the anemone will start moving and lifting it’s hold to the rock. At this point you can grab a gentle hold of anemone and start to remove the rest of its footing from rock. Don’t be rough. You can and will tear it’s flesh if you are to tough on it. When it’s ready to be removed you will easily be able to gently use your finger to separate it from the rock. Hope this helps. Happy Reefing!

Back