removing palys off glass

theone

not so well known member
BRS Member
I have done some research on how to rid toxic palys from my live rock and that is easy enough (bleach, rinse, sun, repeat), but I still need to get them off the glass. I thought about injections, maybe slowly scrape with a razor and siphon out at same time, or scrape them off, scoop them out then run a ton of carbon in a canister filter.

Anybody have any ideas or opinions?

Can you share a photo of the toxic paly you want to remove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All palys are toxic, but a picture would help. Also if they're not worth anything, razor them and suction during a water change

pretty sure these are toxic. every time I disturb these all my corals are affected. the hammers shrink up, and the trumpets and acans bleach. and boy do they smell

Attachments

• palys.jpg
    palys.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Off glass a razor blade under their foot will detach them without damaging them.

Zoathids are technically a member of the palythoa family but do not carry the toxins so as Dong said not all are toxic. They may have some trace amounts but only some are potent enough to affect you. Like spider bites.

pretty sure these are toxic. every time I disturb these all my corals are affected. the hammers shrink up, and the trumpets and acans bleach. and boy do they smell

Yes these type is toxic, also very invasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, right around the mouth glow a little bit of an aqua blue, but nothing that stands out

Back