Removing Palys

sirvine24

Non-member
I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I only saw a couple recent threads.

I have a few Palys that aren't my favorites. I'm aware of polytoxins. I'm not sure if these are dangerous at all but, I've handled them (moved them, etc) for 3 years with no problem. That said, they're starting to spread, so I figure why risk it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of them.

They're attached to rock that is the base of a toadstool leather (one of my first and favorite corals). The toadstool has attached to this rock and a branch rock which I like. It's not a problem to remove them from the tank (toadstool, branch and small rock with palys all connected).

From googling, options seem to be (assuming lots of protection and carbon running):
  • Smother them in super glue and reef cement (I'm leaning toward this)
  • Frag the rock to physically remove them. I have bone cutters, a hammer, chisel and hacksaw. But I don't want to break that branch rock
  • Smother them with kalkwasser paste
  • Inject them with some acid like lemon juice
  • Zap them with an aiptasia laser, if I can get one
  • Take a blow torch to them (seems like a really bad idea)
I'm curious about people's experiences and thoughts, pics attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180410_093712.jpg
    20180410_093712.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 459
  • 20180410_093626.jpg
    20180410_093626.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 415
I had luck in the past with kalk, but it was not so much smothering them, I filled a syringe with kalk paste and injected it into the mouth,

Take the rock out, cut off the coral on it, then toss the rock.
If you kill them inside the tank, whatever in them will stay behind in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, those leathers are quite robust. If you carefully frag it by cutting it off smoothly at the base and then simply rubber band it to another rock of your choice it will reattached shockingly fast.

Alternatively, I've used majano wand successfully to remove smaller patches of unwanted palys. Just do a few at a time and run carbon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I put on medical gloves, and removed the rock, and carved off the palys with a scalpel & butter knife. Tossed the palys in a garbage bag, then threw away to the outside barrel. They can be easy to remove if you pry up under their footing. Obviously be careful. I move my 2' toadstool all the time, just slowly rip it away from the rock if needed, it'll be fine.

I put on medical gloves, and removed the rock, and carved off the palys with a scalpel & butter knife. Tossed the palys in a garbage bag, then threw away to the outside barrel. They can be easy to remove if you pry up under their footing. Obviously be careful. I move my 2' toadstool all the time, just slowly rip it away from the rock if needed, it'll be fine.
If going this approach, definitely consider protective eye wear too. I've seen them shoot out liquid quite a distance when poked, which I can only assume you wouldn't want in the eye...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. The colony isn't too big yet. Now, I'm leaning toward removing everything and chipping away the part of rock that has the palys. Gonna be an interesting weekend.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back