Return Pump failure

mrcote1

Non-member
So I left for the Carribean for 9 days and not even a full 24 hours after I left, my basement return pump that I've had for about 9 months fails. Thankfully I had battery air pumps and a temporary backup heater in my DT just for that reason but my tank dropped to 74 degrees and the evaporation caused my salinity to rise .0015 as well as my dosing pump not getting my corals what they need so now all my sps look unhappy and have no polyp extension. Anyone ever have a Jebao fail so soon? I bought another one just because I didnt have the ability to use the internet and research while I was away and I needed it at my house for when I returned. Probably gonna look into another kind if I can find something more reliable and affordable.

Aw man that sucks. Luckily you had a heater in the display. I had my sump drop to low for the water to recirculate. Thankfully it was spring so the temp only dropped to 72.... but yeah.

They jebao are cheap and are hit or miss on longevity. I heard some last weeks others years.

I have only used their wave makers and gyres. But my gyer has been going a year and a half no problems.

I personally would never use a DC pump as my main return. I run 2 Eheim 1262s. Bulky AC pumps, but they are going to run and run.

Hope everything pulls through.

Which part of the DC return pump fail? Power supply or the motor? Where did you purchase the pump originally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, and what's wrong with DC pumps?

Nothing is WRONG with them. I use them too, but not on something as critical as a return pump. That's perhaps the most important component (maybe the lighting?) In the system.

There are a lot of failure points in a DC pump. You have the pump, the speed controller, power supply. They are more complex. Also, if you don't clean them and they can't spin to the next phase you may get cogging.

This is my opinion. I see DC pumps still in the early phase. AC is old school, inefficient, but my pumps will shred a snail shell. DC has circuit protection, overload protection, etc. All are good things, but they may be too sensitive.

Many Jebao pumps are black market items that never intended to sell in US. They sometimes do not have the thermo protection IC built in.

Many Jebao pumps are black market items that never intended to sell in US. They sometimes do not have the thermo protection IC built in.

How would you know? I only have a couple and they are Jecod. I bought them from Fishstreet

Fish street is good.

Which part of the DC return pump fail? Power supply or the motor? Where did you purchase the pump originally?

The controller failed because the screen didnt even show an error code it just had no power. And I bought it off amazon

Check the power adaptor.

I'll check over all the wiring of it when I get home. And yea but only 9 months is a bit crazy. I just couldn't believe my luck when I saw that it had failed right as I left

That is unfortunate. I ditched Jebao brand and go with Coralbox, they seem to have better reliability than Jebao

That is unfortunate. I ditched Jebao brand and go with Coralbox, they seem to have better reliability than Jebao

Which model is the newest and best? DCA or the DCS/DCT. also there aren't many places that sell them. I'm looking for something in the mid 2,000 gpg to 3,000 gph range

I carry Coralbox DC 3000 with safety float switch. That is the same pump I use in my reef tanks.
I use DC3000 on my 200 g reef tank and only set it to 70%. There is no reason to get a 2000 to 3000 gph pump for tanks less than 200g.

Some people use one giant return pump to power all their reactors, but I prefer dedicated small powerhead for each reactor. That way the flow is more consistent.

Yea my return pump feeds 2 reactors, my refugium, and has about 9 feet of head which is why I need a large pump. The DCA9000 looks perfect and is roughly the same price as the jebao. I may have to go return the jebao and switch to coralbox. I love my coralbox dosing pump

For large return pump that pump up to 9 feet, I will suggest getting a AC pump, which has much better head pressure and use similar amount of electricity.

Back