Return pump failure

Reefer508

BRS Member
This morning I woke up to an alarm from my Apex, low temp in my frag tank. Found that the return pump had stop around 4:30 this morning. I have a back up so that's not my question. My heater is in the sump of this system, a 100 gallon stock tank filled with live rock, over 100 lbs. The display is a 80 gallon DeepBlue with just a little rock, maybe 20 lbs.
The display got down to 75, all coral and fish, only 2, a yellow tang and a damsel, are fine.
When the return stopped, the heater kept heating the sump. The temp in sump got up over 94.
I do expect die off in sump.
Think I should keep sump off line for a while to cycle or think it's safe to just cool it down and get it running again?
Any input is appreciated.

Good idea with WC, Heater is Apex controlled, no internal thermostat. Temp probe in DT, heater in sump

Upvote 0
Yeah you might wanna out the temp probe with the heater……..it would avoid this issue (the heating not the pump failure)

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be surprised to see a small cycle depending on how much growth you had on the LR in the sump. 94 is enough to cook sponges. How difficult would it be to keep the sump and dt separate for a couple of days, just in case?

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem, fish splashed water on water sensor and apex shut down pumps In middle of the night. Pumps off for hours and tank was in mid 70s. Dried sensor and restarted tank. No issues with coral or fish. As others said address the heater not shutting off. I use the heater thermostat for normal operation and the apex temperature sensor for safety control. Let us know how it turns out.

Upvote 0
Did a large WC on sump, all I had mixed up, 30 gallons so about 30%. Mixing more for another WC. Not a lot of growth on LR, I keep it dark. Only thing is the pods and brittle stars dieing off.
System has been running again for a few hours and everything looks fine. Will change carbon again tomorrow and run some tests.
Thinking of adding another temp probe in sump.

Upvote 0
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back