Return Pump Feeding Mode Suggestions?

Aconphoto

Non-member
Hi All,

Just got back into the hobby since having a couple large marine tanks in the mid 90s (things have changed!). I started back with a 32g Coralife Biocube for a reef system and did the standard upgrades (yes....already obsessed with getting a larger reef tank in the coming year). I upgraded the return pump with a Cobalt MJ1200, added a Tunze 9001 skimmer, InTank Media basket, Vortech MP10QD PH, and some other stuff.

Here is my question: Does anyone have a suggestion or advice on the best way to turn down my return pump when feeding? I like the "feeding mode" that the MP10 PH offers and wish I could do the same for my MJ1200 return pump. What I do now (might not be right) is turn off the pump when feeding and turn it back on after the food is consumed (to minimize sucking the food into the filtration system. The problem with this is the water level in the back chambers of the Biocube rises when the pump is off, which either fills the Tunze skimmer cup with water or floats it off the top of the skimmer. I then have to add water (salt H20 not RODI top off) back to replace the water that was collected in the skimmer cup (fills up). This is really a PIA to do for feeding each day.

Is there a better way? Is there a good return pump for my setup that has a feeding mode? I tried using a dimmer adapter to decrease power to the MJ1200, but it just didn't run right when I turned down the juice, so I nixed that idea on concern for damaging pump or something worse.

thanks very much for any advice or recommendations!
Alex

Joe, I do, but didn't mention that. Even w/ the skimmer off, the water level rises in the chamber where the skimmer is and partially fills the skimmer cup.

You could get a jebao dc return pump which has a feed mode for 10 min. You would still need to shut off skimmer prior and turn back on after 10 min feed mode. These pumps are fairly inexpensive

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back