Return pump/overflow question???

Ray

frrrrunkis
BRS Member
I have a 75G with 1 corner overflow, My question is how big or a return pump can I run on it?

TIA

Someone had once said that the AGA overflow is rated for 600gph??? I have no idea how accurate this is...

Perhaps AGA would be able to tell you. I have called them in the past and they have been helpful. Let me know what you find,

Matt:cool:

Yep :D

Flow Rate: 700 GPH
Watts: 70
Pump Size (L x W x H): 5.0" x 3.8" x 4.2"
Outlet Size / Inlet Size: 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT

I'm one of the subscribers to the "you can't have too much flow in the stony tank" theory.

David

You should be fine then, as the maximum flow rate is 700gph, and you will get considerably less discharge under the operating head of your tank.

Matt:cool:

We have a 72 bow but the overflow looks similar. We are running a Mag 9 into a sqwd with no problems.

THAT's what I want to do. Split the return with a sqwd and beef up to a 9 or get a new tank and drill a closed loop... something..anything... MORE FLOW :)

I use a Mag 7 on my 75, I figure it pumps about 650 GPH it's about all I would try to pump through and maintain a safty factor.

Dave
Get a larger pump, then get a larger tank, then get a larger skimmer, then get more lights then, then, then aaaarrrrgggg ha ha then you know the rest.

depends on how you plan on using the single corner. If you just use the 1" drain pipe than it is rated for 600gph. All you would need (and be able to support) is a return that pumps 600gph after head loss is figured.

The way I'm going is turning the return in the overflow ( 3/4" ) to another drain and just hanging the returns over the back with PVC, which should add 300gph to my flow. I went with a Mag12 for that setup which is supposed to be 1200gph, and after headloss I think it will be pushing around 950gph back.

That is what I want....more flow but less powerheads! I was thinking of adding another small return pump going to the other side of the tank and taking out the powerheads over that side.

Be aware that the more volume you move through your sump, the more issues you are most likley going to have with micro-bubbles.

I run a Mag 9.5 for my return on my 75g AGA RR tank. I run wide open with ~6' of head so I beleive thats 720gph. I do have a ball valve after the pump that runs back to the sump so I can "throttle" the pump if needed, which was necassary at first. That changed after I dremmeled the teeth on the overflow larger.

My plan now is to switch to a Mag18 for return (still 3/4" NPT so I wont need to re-plumb PVC) because I run a 29g fuge, carbon filter, and phosban reactor from the return manifold which is starting to sap some return flow to the main tank. I will then use my Mag9.5 for a closed loop and remove 3 of the MJ1200 ph.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back