Rock-n-Reef’s 200 Gallon build

Slacker I've gone over a year IIRC in my build thread :cool:

Awesome looking set up for starters looks even bette than I imagined based on when you started the thread... I did have a question. Is there a reason you haven't painted the back of the clown/anemone tank? Are you having issues with the sun coming in through the doors? I was just curious if you planned on keeping it see through/peninsula style did you ever think about putting the overflow on the right side?

Sorry if some of these questions have been answered in the first few pages I didn't look back over the whole build thread I just forgot based on the month long lack of updates :p

Thank you!
Not planning to paint the back. I'm okay with the sun coming through the door. Free light!!! During the day time, the tank looks yellow and the leds do not make much difference on the tank and I'm okay with it.

This was an old tank which was drilled on the back wall for the overflow. Ideally, I would have liked to keep it as a full peninsula with the overflow on the narrow side towards the corner wall. that way I would have had 3 side full viewing. But to re-purpose the existing tank, kept is as is. Maybe will change it down the line.

With the Anemones they tend to always want to hide in the place we cannot see. So having the back open will help me keep an eye on those that move behind the rock work.

Which UV is that?

Paul - here it is

Looks like a pentair or the old emperor aquatics
[/QUOTE]
I can see that, was wondering about size, maybe 40 watt. I'm in the market for one and was curious about how big it was.

Paul - here it is

Thank you kindly, this is the one I've been eye balling.

Thank you!
Not planning to paint the back. I'm okay with the sun coming through the door. Free light!!! During the day time, the tank looks yellow and the leds do not make much difference on the tank and I'm okay with it.

This was an old tank which was drilled on the back wall for the overflow. Ideally, I would have liked to keep it as a full peninsula with the overflow on the narrow side towards the corner wall. that way I would have had 3 side full viewing. But to re-purpose the existing tank, kept is as is. Maybe will change it down the line.

With the Anemones they tend to always want to hide in the place we cannot see. So having the back open will help me keep an eye on those that move behind the rock work.

Makes sense with the repurposing an existing tank thanks for the clarification. I'm sure you had already mentioned that at the beginning of the thread...

Baby anemone!

It is not usual to see a new split all fluffed up. But this guy seems to be all happy and roaming around this morning to find his rock!

1608055776111.jpeg

And there's the mommy!

1608055792593.jpeg

Tang gang about to complete quarantine! There is a large Desjardini already in the tank. So this is not going to be easy. Since there are 3 in this group, I'm thinking I can get away with the aggression. Wish me luck!

Also there is a golden rhomboid in the group (you can see that peeking in the left corner by the sponge filter).

1608953024864.jpeg

Time for lighting upgrade... Radions just arrived! installation project for the weekend.

thought about trying ATI Straton or Orphek. But then decided to go with Radions. Tried and tested and I already have them on my other tanks. So easy to use the same program across the board.

1610127079632.jpeg

Nice!
Did you look at the diffuser for the radions as well? I'm using them and like them. The light is so strong that there's no concern about the diffuser cutting the intensity. Running mine at 45% only.

I thought about that Nick. But didn't make up my mind. Wanted to see how the light spread looks and maybe then add the diffuser. I run my light at least 14 to 16 inch off the surface along with the 4 T5's. So thinking that will provide the light blend. Let me get that installed, take some measurements and also see how visually it looks.

I have two as spares and in the closet. I'm heading to Hopkinton this weekend, let me know if you want me to drop them off. You can try them. If you like them, order two and send them to my address. If you don't like them, keep them there til I need them.

To me, it's more than just the light spread improvement. The diffuser make staring at the light a little easier. Okay, noone will stare at the light on purspose. But with an open fixture like that, it's hard to avoid not noticing the naked LEDs.

thank you Nick. No worries. I have a diffuser lying around as well. I was using them on the living room tank, as I didn't want to have my daughter looking at the led directly. So I may add it at some point. For some reason I like the puck light look o_O lets see!

This tank has been chugging along nicely. This system has had few changes since my last post (which is 5 months ago).

The AI Hydra 26 that were on the 200, were moved to the 60 anemone tank, and the Radion G5s were added to the 200 along with 4 T5s. This is mounted on a Giesemann Stellar fixture that I bought from a friend in our club.

The Copperband developed a taste for high-end LPS and clams! So had to move all the LPS and clams out of the 200 on to the Anemone tank. So the Anemone tank is now more of a LPS tank. You will see that in the 2nd picture. There are only two large anemones in there now.

1623004755759.jpeg

1623005284072.jpeg

I lost one Yellow tang from the first batch that I added. Found him stuck to a MP60 one day. It is likely he got beaten up by the other two Yellow tangs.

Added half a dozen juvenile/female Rhomboid wrasses. Already had one male. It is interesting to see their interaction as a harem in the tank.

Had good struggle trying to keep SPS alive in this system for a while. The last set of test Acros have now survived for a few months now and encrusting. But no exciting SPS pics to show yet! But here are some LPS and mushroom pics!

1623005845540.jpeg

1623005880416.jpeg

1623005894134.jpeg

1623005912913.jpeg

1623005931714.jpeg

1623006008356.jpeg

This tank has been chugging along nicely. This system has had few changes since my last post (which is 5 months ago).

The AI Hydra 26 that were on the 200, were moved to the 60 anemone tank, and the Radion G5s were added to the 200 along with 4 T5s. This is mounted on a Giesemann Stellar fixture that I bought from a friend in our club.

The Copperband developed a taste for high-end LPS and clams! So had to move all the LPS and clams out of the 200 on to the Anemone tank. So the Anemone tank is now more of a LPS tank. You will see that in the 2nd picture. There are only two large anemones in there now.

View attachment 162769

View attachment 162770

I lost one Yellow tang from the first batch that I added. Found him stuck to a MP60 one day. It is likely he got beaten up by the other two Yellow tangs.

Added half a dozen juvenile/female Rhomboid wrasses. Already had one male. It is interesting to see their interaction as a harem in the tank.

Had good struggle trying to keep SPS alive in this system for a while. The last set of test Acros have now survived for a few months now and encrusting. But no exciting SPS pics to show yet! But here are some LPS and mushroom pics!

View attachment 162771

View attachment 162772

View attachment 162773

View attachment 162774

View attachment 162775

View attachment 162776
How do you like the GHL Propeller Breeze? I was looking at it last night as temp are rising. Just figured out that I could reduce my lighting upon rises in temp through the P4. HVAC is in place, but waiting on electrician to wire the condenser. Tanks look great by the way.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back