Rock-n-Reef’s 200 Gallon build

How do you like the GHL Propeller Breeze? I was looking at it last night as temp are rising. Just figured out that I could reduce my lighting upon rises in temp through the P4. HVAC is in place, but waiting on electrician to wire the condenser. Tanks look great by the way.

It is able to keep the temp down Paul. But doesn't move a lot of air. I think the clip-on fans would move more air than this and cost much less. But the GHL looks aesthetically better (and built solid). if you are using a GHL controller, you can regulate the fan speed as well.

I thought about running to Lowes this morning to get a $15 clip on fan, but never did then had a power outage for about 1/2 hour. I adjusted my photo period as I run an ATI 8 bulb and 4 bulb over two tanks.

The fan in combination with heavy surface agitation will do the trick. Just need to watch the humidity in the room.

The spike that you see in the graph below was when i had the powerhead turned off while doing some maintenance in the tank. Though the fan was running, it was not evaporating enough to bring down the temp. So strong surface water movement is key.

Screenshot_20210606-191239.png

Last edited:
Interested in your thoughts on the scrubber. Just watched a video with Chris Meckley from ACI Aquaculture that raves about them.

Definitely love it Paul and big part of nutrient export process in the tank. I do run a large skimmer, but after I added the scrubber, both phosphates and nitrates has reduced. I can now control it by just adjusting the lighting period for the scrubber (which I have been slowly reducing as the corals are staring to grow and consuming the nutrient themselves).

I need to clean the screen and the scrubber container every four weeks. The way the Turbo Aquatics scrubbers are designed, it makes it easier as I can pullout the inside container (with the screen) without the need to take off the entire scrubber and light setup. Take it to a sink, and a quick scrub, doesn't take more than 5 mins.

Definitely love it Paul and big part of nutrient export process in the tank. I do run a large skimmer, but after I added the scrubber, both phosphates and nitrates has reduced. I can now control it by just adjusting the lighting period for the scrubber (which I have been slowly reducing as the corals are staring to grow and consuming the nutrient themselves).

I need to clean the screen and the scrubber container every four weeks. The way the Turbo Aquatics scrubbers are designed, it makes it easier as I can pullout the inside container (with the screen) without the need to take off the entire scrubber and light setup. Take it to a sink, and a quick scrub, doesn't take more than 5 mins.
Thanks, I'm running Reef Moonshiners Method currently, monthly and daily corrections based upon ATI tests, it's similar to Triton with no water changes. Last test a couple weeks ago showed NO3 at 16.75 and PO4 at 0.12. I have a large skimmer as well. Maybe after this week's addition of corals they uptake some of that. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, I'm running Reef Moonshiners Method currently, monthly and daily corrections based upon ATI tests, it's similar to Triton with no water changes. Last test a couple weeks ago showed NO3 at 16.75 and PO4 at 0.12. I have a large skimmer as well. Maybe after this week's addition of corals they uptake some of that. Appreciate the feedback.

If you can keep that in check without any scrubber or algae reactor, that is best. There is an argument about how algae (in the display as well as in refug/scrubber/reactor) can inhibit coral growth due to certain toxins they release in the water column. And there are a number of studies to backup that theory. I haven't seen any impact myself.

Any updates? Digging this tank and it's journey. Been looking at the IM 200 for the past couple of days. A guy can dream I guess.

Last week noticed that the recirculating pump on the CaRx haven't been running for a while (I forgot to plug that pump in after the last media change which was 3 or 4 months ago!). Fixed that and had to re-calibrate the reactor.

This is after plugging it in:
PXL_20220423_163537709.jpg

Let it drain for a bit until the slurry cleaned up
PXL_20220423_163555845.jpg

Otherwise tank has been humming along. Haven't added any new livestock lately.

1651444271181.jpeg

Final Episode

I've been MIA from the forum for a few months now. Looking at the date on the last update above, exactly 1 year! We closed on a new property in the winter and the last few months have been busy with renovations and the move. Which means the tanks got to go.

Here is the final picture of the tank from couple of weeks ago before it was taken down...

PXL_20230409_181041022.jpg

All corals and fish moved to a 300 gallon stock tank in the new house. For the most part the corals made the move without much issues. lost a couple of ones. which was okay given the volume of corals that I moved.

PXL_20230422_235629201.jpg

The wrasses and few others are in a temp tank until i get a net over the stock tank for the jumpers.

PXL_20230422_235509013.jpg

hopefully I can keep the corals and fish alive in the temporary setup until the new tank arrives... which can be a few months it looks like.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back