RODI for coffee

Zirky

Non-member
I know you can't drink rodi water "but I'm not sure why" but can We use it in a kure? And would it be better for the appliance?

You can use it but if you bypass the di and just use RO water. I’ve heard it makes the coffee way better tasting as well.

If your sediment filter and carbon filters are in good shape, you can drink RO/DI. Unless the filters you have labeled not for human consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I am brewing Kona coffee, I will use distilled water

Chemist at my old school said using it for coffee can cause a different taste and can pull more caffeine out.

I wouldn’t use the water you make and have sit, but freshly made water should be fine, all depending on town bacteria reports.

All the water I drink and cook with is RO only then put through a carbon filter for taste and odor. I use it for coffee and it works great. If you were really concerned with the lack of minerals in RO you could get an alkalinity filter which reintroduces certain minerals into the water, my main concern being the purity of the source material and the unknown additions from them. But RO purified water is really the safest thing to drink as we find more and more previously unknown cancerous elements in our ground water from previous industrial activity/irresponsible disposal practices.

I have been using RO water for the last 4 years in my Keurig coffe maker and never have to scale it. Coffee taste great.

That's what I was wondering, I've been hesitant to buy a keureg because the one at work was always fowling but now I'm in thank you

There's been a ton of debate about drinking rodi over the years. The common reasons given are thats it's mineral deficient, hypertonic, and it's acidic.

It is slightly more acidic than regular water but soda, any carbonated beverage really is much lower in ph.

The hypertonic argument might hold some water (get it?!) If the stomach lining wasn't semi-permeable not allowing things to pass from the blood to the stomach. It only goes the other direction. Also let's not forget that the second it enters your mouth it will mix with about 1 million particles so it is essentially no longer devoid of soluates. Which I'll talk more about in point 3.

The third Point people make is that it's deficient in minerals and we need minerals to survive. If we drink nothing but Rodi water and did not eat anything then it could eventually (mixing in the mouth) help deplete the body of minerals. but the truth is we get very little of the required minerals from drinking water. As long as you eat a healthy diet (or even a crappy one) it will not ever be a problem.

On an interesting side note pure water will not freeze as water molecules are pretty "stupid" and need a particulate (a nucleation center) to "show them" how to form a crystal.

Nope. Not unless you've got a completely steril freezer that you can pipe 2 hydrogen atoms stuck together with an oxygen into.

Just filled my weekly Coffee RO gallon water.

Starts filling with ~35 ppm and ends with 9 ppm (9-7 is what later goes to my DI filter.

Doing water change now.... :)

Cool idea

It isn't my idea. I got the RODI system from Malev's Reef. In his site he suggests to collect the first washing of the membrane to be home used. Instead of sending those ~35 ppm water (in my case) to the DI resin, you use it for drink (coffee in my case). When I finish filling the gallon container, the membrane have been washed and the water coming from it is ~9 ppm. Then I close that tubing and allow the RO water to go to the DI resin.

Every weekend I collect 1-2 Gallons for my coffee. Malev's save it in the refrigerator in small bottles for any use you want. He has pictures or a video, can't remember now.

That is it.

Cheers
Daniel

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back