RODI question

pokerfish

Non-member
I bought a used generic RODI filter from someone, and want to change the cartridges out. It has three 10 inch canisters, plus the top tube. its my understanding that its a 4 stage system. Here's my question. Bulk reef supply sells a kit to replace the three filters that unscrew.( I'm told the top one lasts for a few years so im gonna hold off on that one for a bit). The first two ( from left to right) look pretty straight forward, just unscrew, and put in appropriate cartridge. The third one has me confused. They sell a bag of resin to replace the charcoal looking substance that half fills the current cartridge. The bottom half, of my present set up, looks like a sponge. Do I need to replace that too? The resin in there now looks like its packed in, but just on top of the sponge. it seems like the stuff on BRS might go in a plastic cylinder that you then place in the ten inch cartridge?

It's probably pretty simple, but I've never used one of these before. The replacement kit on BRS is cheap, and has great reviews but I'm not sure how the resin chamber works, or if I can pack it myself. They sell a sponge and a plastic tube to pack resin in, but not as part of the kit, so I'm wondering if I need them. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Can I rinse out the sponge I have and just pack in new resin? Or do I buy a new sponge, and a plastic container for the resin, and put them in there? Or am I way off and need something I haven't mentioned?
Thanks for the help. I defer to the wizards on this site....:.

can you post a picture of your filter? The black stuff (DI resin) normally goes inside a clear tube that goes inside the plastic chamber. The water is forced through the clear tube that the DI resin is in. THere is normally a small sponge inside the bottom of this tube that the resin sits on.

In order to replace the resin instead of buying one that is prefilled, you need a clear tube like they have that the top can unscrew. If you take out the DI filter and you can unscrew thee top you are all set. If you take out the DI filter and the canister with the resin is sealed closed then you need to buy the refillable one from BRS when you buy the bulk resin. You can just rinse out the canister and sponge everytime you refill it.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back