Roller Filter- Do they work?

Reefer508

BRS Member
I'm thinking about changing from filter socks to an automatic filter roll. Does anyone use them? If so do you like it? How long does the roll last compared to socks? Right now I'm changing socks 2 or 3 times a week. Any draw backs to this type of system?
Thanks for any info.

I have a Klir and Clarisea. I hated changing socks and cleaning them so that’s the biggest pro for me. The con is the cost of replacement rolls. For the first month or so you’ll go through a couple rolls as the water gets polished. After that my rolls last 4-6 weeks.

I have a Klir and Clarisea. I hated changing socks and cleaning them so that’s the biggest pro for me. The con is the cost of replacement rolls. For the first month or so you’ll go through a couple rolls as the water gets polished. After that my rolls last 4-6 weeks.

How do they work? Do you manually roll them as they get dirty (if so how often do you adjust them?) or do they have a motor that rolls and you just set it for the speed that matches when they get dirty?

That's a great deal and I just picked one up. There are a bunch of videos out there that show the product working. I have 2 filter socks on my Waterbox sump and will use the red sea plastic drop in with filter floss on the 1st and the roller on the second to start. Anything has to be better than cleaning socks every 1.5 days!

Make sure if you don't like it you can return it. I got on from aquacave and had a deffective controller out of the box. It took coealvue 3 weeks to send the correct part. After week 1 I told aquacave it was defective and they said they could not take it back as it was opened. So after 5 total weeks of the run around yesterday is first day I got to install it.

Thanks for all the great info, gotta look at footprint and mounting options. Does tank size / bio load matter? I'm guessing it would be dependent on how much you feed. I see one from AquaMaxx with a 1.5" inlet that matches my drain size and would make install easy.

How do they work? Do you manually roll them as they get dirty (if so how often do you adjust them?) or do they have a motor that rolls and you just set it for the speed that matches when they get dirty?

Optical sensor on Klir, float sensor on Clarisea. When water reaches a certain level the motor will advance the paper forward.

I am really enjoying my 4" Klir in my Waterbox sump but after testing for a few months with no other filter media / sock before the Klir, you will get detritus that can get through the Klir filter and into your sump. I am now running a filter sock in the first chamber with the Klir in the second chamber and believe I'll be able to get 6-8 weeks out of the Klir roll with this set up easily.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back