RPM Reef Salt Specs

MarvinsReef

Non-member
In case anyone is interested I am switching from reef crystals to RPM salt and tested my first 55 gallon batch @1.026 salinity and 78 degrees. The results using a Hanna tester was ALK=10.19 dkh and Calcium=434 ppm. Using a salifert kit the Magnesium=1485 ppm. I switched salts due to reef crystals always leaving brown junk in my mixing barrel and Alk was too high all the time. Time will tell how good this new salt is.

I’m assuming that was the red box (high alk) formula? I’ve been using the blue box version for over a year and the Alk is right around 8.2

I used the blue box version and got those results. I thought 10 dkh was a little high. I let it mix overnight. I will perform a second test tomorrow

I usually bring my water to temp and then add salt and let it mix overnight. I need to mix a batch tomorrow for a water change. I’ll let you know what mine reads.

One thing I like about Red Sea salt is it can be mixed well in a couple of hours

Oh man... I am doing salt wrong then.

I mix it (basement temp) withs heater on high for maybe an hour. Then pour that sucker in. Salt crystals go into the tank at the end... but I figure hey... I measured that’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man... I am doing salt wrong then.

I mix it (basement temp) withs heater on high for maybe an hour. Then pour that sucker in. Salt crystals go into the tank at the end... but I figure hey... I measured that’s good.

There should not be any salt crystal left after the salt is mix regardless the temperature. May be salinity is too high?

It’s mostly me being lazy. When it let it sit for an hour or over night it is fine. Sometimes I just mix salt with cold water (55-65 degree basement stored water). Stir it for 5 minutes and pour in. I am sure that is doing lots of harm

I won't pretend to understand the chemical reaction but I've always had better luck when I bring the water to temp first. After that, it's just a matter of letting it clear. Some brands obviously take longer than others. I typically mix 55 gal at a time and this method has served me well. Currently using RPM, but same applied when I've tried Red Sea, Tropic Marin, and Reef Crystals. Mixing in cold water would give me inconsistent results.

Mixed a batch of RPM this morning and the Alk was 8.4 @ 78/1.026

Last edited:
IStir it for 5 minutes and pour in. I am sure that is doing lots of harm

Yes, but it will do less harm if you pour it in the sump. But always mix the water till it clears before adding to your tank.

The next batch of RPM salt I mix up I will heat up the water first then add the salt and see where my parameters are at. Never thought of doing it this way.

The next batch of RPM salt I mix up I will heat up the water first then add the salt and see where my parameters are at. Never thought of doing it this way.

From the Internet site for RPM ...........For best results, use water between 70°-75°F (21°-24°C) when mixing RPM.

Read below :

MIXING DIRECTIONS
For best results, it is important to follow proper mixing instructions when using salt with elevated parameters like Fritz Aquatics Reef Pro Mix. See below for best practices when using RPM.

When mixing Fritz Reef Pro Mix, it is best to use RO/DI water quality checked by a TDS meter (TDS should be less than 10 ppm, 0 is preferred). Fill a clean mixing container (dedicated to saltwater mixing only) with desired amount of water to be prepared. For best results, use water between 70°-75°F (21°-24°C) when mixing RPM. Slowly add desired amount of RPM to the water to avoid an increase in temperature and precipitation. This helps to prevent precipitation of calcium, alkalinity and other elements. It is recommended to use a mixing pump and an airstone when mixing RPM. This will also help to avoid concentrated areas of material and precipitation. Using a properly calibrated refractometer, bring the water to the desired salinity. Once mixed to a clear solution, add a heater to the water to bring to the current temperature of your aquarium. It is recommended to allow two hours before performing a water change. If water does not mix clear, please contact us for further mixing tips before performing a water change.

DO NOT MIX DRY SALT DIRECTLY INTO SYSTEMS WITH LIVESTOCK PRESENT!

CAUTION: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption. Generates slight heat when added to water; avoid handling with wet hands. Contact with dry powder may cause skin and/or eye irritation. In case of contact, flush eyes with cool water and seek immediate medical attention.

Storage: Store in a cool, dry place. Keep product tightly sealed.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back