Rule of thumb for live rock?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
When I started reefing back in the late 90's, the rule of thumb for live rock (LR) was 2 pounds per gallon. Like a good American, I figured a little more would help, so I crammed over 110 pounds of LR into my 55 gal tank. There wasn't much room for the livestock. ;)

What's the current thinking on the amount of LR to use? I'm going to be setting up a 125 this summer, and will need some rock. I will be using a 4" DSB, and will have a 100g sump in the basement. In the future, I might plug a refugium into the system. How much LR need I purchase?

I have 1LB per gal and have 4" of sand bed. I also put about 5LB of rubbles in my over flows as a pod breeding area. If you have 100gal sump you can always put extra live rocks in it.
I say anywhere 120-150 lbs of live rocks in the display tank and another 50-100lbs of dry base rock in the sump. In time it will become live and will give you more biological filtration.JMHO
Richard

I don't see how you can estimate how much rock to use per gallon unless you
look at the origin of the rock. For example, the cultured liverock from Florida is
pretty heavy in relation to the size of each piece, whereas the liverock from some
of the pacific is pretty light weight compared to the sizes of the pieces. If you
use a lbs per gallon ratio, and use the florida rock, then you're not going to get
a lot of rock per gallon.

What type of rock are you thinking of using Moe ?

I'd prefer to use rock from the south Pacific: Fiji, Marshall Islands, Tonga...

These days, ordering live rock is much better than it used to be. You should be
able to shop around to get the best price. Another extremely helpful option is that
some vendors allow you to specify whether you want large pieces or small ones,
branches, round boulders or flat shelves etc. This will also be a factor in how much
rock you order.

I just set my 16 gallon bow and I bought LR from CRA and they told me 3/4 to 1 1/4 pounds per gallon to be a bio filter. I bought 15lbs per their sugestion, the bio load may be right but visually I need more rock.

Okay, so I'll order 3 boxes of LR. That be 135 lbs total. Well, slightly less as the weight of the boxes must be subtracted. I think that'll work.
Any comments, concerns, or suggestions?

From my tank and the tanks I've seen, 1.5 pounds per gallon of display seems to look right for Figi rock. With 130# You'd have 1 pound per gallon of display, and in my opinion that might look a little bare.

(Of course maybe I'm just being grumpy because you're setting up a system 5 times the size of mine :()

If using any Kalini or Brazilian rock, it will be much lighter so it will take less lbs=same amount in volume to say a Fiji. JMO.

I still feel I'm a novice at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've always thought that a hard and fast rule as to how much live rock was kind of misleading. Since Fiji rock is really porus you can get away with a lot less if that is the type predominating your tank, than Tonga, which is really dense. So if that 135lbs is mostly Fiji LR, that seems right, but if your getting something denser, than I think that it is insufficient for purposes of biological filtration. Hope this helps, like I said, I'm still a newbie.

I bought an 88 pound box of show rock from ReeferMadness and was real happy. As you said you do need to subtract box weight, I'd say I got 80 pounds but didn't check totals. I got some nice large pieces. If I were going to do it again, I'd order more than I needed. You can then pick and choose the right pieces for you in the main tank, store the rest in your sump and then sell it if you decide you don't need it. I've never seen LR sit for sale around here. :)

Moe start with about 1 lb per gal or so. Then you can fill in the missing pieces a little at a time with rock found local. That way for those final pieces you can hand pick just the right size and shape to get the look you want. If you end up with at least 125 lbs or more that should be more than enough rock for filtration. After that it?s a matter of the look you want. Also as you know there is always someone selling good cured rock local that you can pick and choose.

Mike Accardi said:
I don't see how you can estimate how much rock to use per gallon unless you
look at the origin of the rock. For example, the cultured liverock from Florida is
pretty heavy in relation to the size of each piece, whereas the liverock from some
of the pacific is pretty light weight compared to the sizes of the pieces. If you
use a lbs per gallon ratio, and use the florida rock, then you're not going to get
a lot of rock per gallon.

Thats a great point Mike.
It's a lot like the old "Watts per Gallon" It's too broad a brush to paint with.

Moe,
I actually have more then 2lb/gallon rock (over 150lb for my 75G) but not much space for the fish and hard to aquascape other then giant wall. I am goint to remove most of the rock and will come close to 1lb/gallon (or half of what i have). Hopefully it will look much better and fish will appreciate it.
I like Dennis's suggetion. Go with 1lb/g and add more if you need.

I agree there are way too many variables with live rock to use a rule of thumb as broad as x pounds per gallon. I would put in whatever looks right, and as you are later slowly stocking the tank, watch how the tank responds to increasing bioload over this time. If it appears the tank is nearing its bioload capacity, and there is room for additional rock, add more. Otherwise, keep adding (slowly). Just my opinion,

Matt:cool:

ducker said:
Can you clairify why you were really happy with it? Shapes? density? lack of bad hitch-hikers, good hitch-hikers?, "freebies" in/on rock?

Not sure about hitch-hikers and or freebies yet as I still have them in a tub with no lighting. I was happy with the order experience, packaging, lack of smell, little to no die off, quick small ammonia spike, incredible color, large rocks with lots of cavities, great shapes and customer service.

Besides, once you start putting frags in they will take up space as well. I have 50lb
figi between by 46 gal and fuge. Can't get my magnet by some areas. Of course rock-
scaping...that's a whole other thread.

Back