Rule of thumb for live rock?

Moe,
We did Tonga in our 180...just a bit over 200 lbs. I would recommend doing larger pieces if possible. That way, you can create openings, caves, etc., and get really good flow throughout your tank. It ain't cheap, but, then again, what is?

Moe, have a 125 as you know. if you can select your pieces BIG so you have less lean on the back glass. hard to do mail ordering. IMO.

I'm not sure what Shoeib's setup looked like before today, but I picked up some rock from him and I really liked how his tank wasn't too cluttered with rock and had its own flow and design. Thanks for the rock by the way it's really nice.

Lots of good points. I just put in another 100# of rock from House of Fins today in my tank. I had picked up 100# from Skiptons a few months back. I started with a few hundred from Tampa Bay Saltwater last year. I was planning on getting another 100# or so from Aqua Addicts but I'm not sure how much more I need at this point.

For what it is worth, my best piece of rock is still one of the TBS pieces...everyone seems to like saying they aren't very porous and tend to be 'football' shapes but that wasn't my experience. The stuff I got at House of Fins today is fantastic (at least in my opinion).

I agree with the idea of ordering 1lb per gallon to start and then filling it out from there with 'finish' pieces from local vendors/hobbyists where you can really pick out exactly what you want. If you had your sump operational, I'd probably suggest ordering 2lb per gallon for your main tank because you could always put extra in your sump.

I have the 125g tank, 30-40g sump, & 75g fuge & will have approx 315 lbs of rock. When I re-aquascape the show pieces will be in the tank, and the "ugly" pieces will be split between the sump & fuge
100lbs of Fiji, 30 of Marshall island, 185 lbs mixed.
I bought the 100 lb of PRIME fiji (all bleached) for $100. That was a find & well worth the "trouble" of letting it color back up & come to life
I paid $2.50 lb for the marshall island, also some nice rock
I think about $2 average for the rest

I'm not sure what Shoeib's setup looked like before today, but I picked up some rock from him and I really liked how his tank wasn't too cluttered with rock and had its own flow and design. Thanks for the rock by the way it's really nice.

Adam, i am glad to hear that you like my new aquascape and rock. I had huge rock wall which was taking a lot of space in my tank. Now it's more open and i think my fish are loving it. I will post pictures of new setup sometimes soon. This is the picture of my old aquascape.

Attachments

• Full2.jpg
    Full2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back