Sad day. Need advice

pokerfish

Non-member
So I just got access to my flooded Quincy home after 2 days and found my 54 gallon corner tank lifeless and cold. Pulled out my bicolor dottyback ( been trying for years but not this way) also one of my two clowns, a coral banded shrimp, and spiny urchin. MIA is my other clown and a dragon wrasse. It was a very mature tank ( 12 years?) and I’m really bummed out.
But life goes on and I need advice as to what to do. I still don’t have power. I’ve got all softies in there ( mushrooms, Kenya tree, Duncan, zoas etc.) and lots of live rock. Do I break down the tank? Can it sit cold for a week and still be viable in any way? Do I need to start fresh or can I salvage water and rock? I know you guys know your stuff. How should I proceed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Can you get some sort of bin to put your rock and corals in , a powerhead and a heater. put it at someone’s house until everything gets back to normal?
If you can the only thing you’ll loose is the sand. Just replace that and your tank can be set up again right away

Years ago during a blizzard I went without power for over a week. I broke down and restarted in a different tank and much to my surprise some of my zoanthids came back. if you don’t decide to rstart new, I would definitely do heavy water changes and filter with carbon. There’s gonna be a lot of gunk to filter out. Hope power come back on for u and all works out.most of us have been thru something like this and it sucks, don’t let it ruin something you enjoy

That really sucks. So sorry to hear this. Coral seems pretty resilient in most cases? Can you set up a temp tank and try to nurse coral back to health? The water may be polluted if coral slimed and fish start3d to decomp? The rock should be ok?? Again, maybe a temp setup to re calibrate everything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I agree with Chris. Storage min, water flow, light, rock and heater with any surviving livestock to a friend/neighbor with power.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies and kind words. If i store the rock in a rubbermaid tub, do i use the water from the tank or make new water? it seems a little stinky from slime but i think the cold kept the fish from decomposing. I expect to get power tommorow night so I may try the filter with carbon/ big water change method. If that doesnt work I will pack rock away clean up the area ( my floors took 4 inches of water and need refinishing or replacing) and start over I guess. Thanks for advice and sympathy.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back