Salifert Alk Test Kit Question

Countryreefer

BRS Member
I just came close to the end of one kit and decided that it was time to compare it with the new kit. To my surprise, the new one was 1 dkh higher than the old one. Thought it was a fluke so I tried again and got the same result. Today is the second day to compare them and I got the exact same results as yesterday at the same time of day (1 dkh different). Now I just don't know what my tank alk really is. The only thing that I know is that it was stable through the old kit! Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on which kit may be the right number?

I wouldn't worry too much about the differences between the two kits as long as Alk is stable. Just try and keep the Alk at the new kits higher reading. Stability is way more important than the actual number. If your tank looks good at the level it's at currently doesn't really matter what the real number is at?

It could just be the age of test kit and the variance of the test. I had this happen yesterday with the Salifert calcium test. My new kit read 50 parts higher than the old.

I would have it crossed checked for reference. I agree with Dave, stability is better than chasing numbers.

+1, it could be the reagent of the old kit is contaminated after many uses. I go through 2 Salifert Alk test kits per month, they are consistent so far.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back