Salt brand suggestion

I use Red Sea blue bucket. I like it. I am considering changing over to the new Waterbox Reef Salt. It has similar levels but higher Mag, which is nice since I have mostly LPS.

Red Sea blue bucket because it’s the closest to what I run my tank at but I don’t do regular water changes.

Regular IO but find it necessary to state that the tank is supported by a carx

Having seen the results at the coral farm ( A BRS sponsor ), I use regular instant ocean on their recommendation and have no complaints. Also got a few bucks left over compared to buying premium mixes that recently killed many aquariums due to contamination. I/O is often on sale so check for best deals.

Salt thread pops up about once a month. Maybe it’s time to sticky a salt thread at the top.

I’ve been using IO since 2015 when I went 200G tank. It was economical and good and reliable at the same time.

I have reef crystals does the job. and it’s cheap enough doesn’t break my bank
+1 for Reef Crystals. Mixes to a great Alk range, salinity seems consistent each mix. Only $40 for 5gal bucket. Makes 160gal.

Coral are happy

I tried most major salt brands over the past decade. Everytime I used a brand of salt on one of the systems for at least 6 months to a year. I don’t see much difference among different brands.

I tried most major salt brands over the past decade. Everytime I used a brand of salt on one of the systems for at least 6 months to a year. I don’t see much difference among different brands.
I sure see a difference in price! I think I'll stick with I/O. Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

I filled my tank with I/O but used up the bucket and now have reef crystals for water change. Nice little Ca/Alk boost. Win win

I have been using IO for 20 years with no issues. Recently I just switched to reef crystals (basically upgraded IO) as I’m starting to need a higher calcium salt.

I have been using IO for 20 years with no issues.

Same! Well, no issues attributed to salt…
Plus, IO bribed me!
DCD2BEED-E0D0-4F99-B740-954EAB8AC4D3.jpeg

I sure see a difference in price! I think I'll stick with I/O. Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
Yes price is the major difference. If higher price salt leads to better coral growth and color, I don’t mind the price. But I don’t see that. I don’t care about the brown stuff on the wall of the mixing buckets, that is due to bacteria growth and anti caking reagent in salt mix. It does not affect water quality.

Regarding regular IO salt and Reefcrystals, the regular IO may be the same as Reef crystals form time to time. It does not guarantee to have lower alkalinity. I test several bags of regular IO recently, same high alkalinity as Reefcrystals.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back