salt mix parameters

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
Hi All,

I saw a video on BRS before but i cant seem to find it. I want to change salts to something more constant. I'm currently using Reg. IO. The last 2 boxes the mix was really inconstant. The numbers on fresh mixes were never the same and driving me nuts trying to keep Akl. and Ca. balanced. I'm going thru more 2part trying to keep fresh mixes blanced before WC. I think the cost of a different salt will easily be cheap than $$ spend on 2 part.

Thanks for responce.

This is how i keep things.
Alk. 8.6
Ca. 480
Mag. 1440
Phos. >0.10
Nitr. best guess using Salifert test in 0.05
PH. 8.1 lights out in the AM. 8.28 lights on mid cycle.

I’ve gone through this with IO REEF CRYSTALS but I was keeping it stored fir days at most a week. I noticed that my parameters were going nuts and I was losing corals due to it.
IMO The longer you keep stored the lower the parameters will be and out of whack AS WELL.

I only let it sit 24 hours before I do the wc. 9.5 alk all the time. Been testing it for a week and it’s been consistent. But I do believe that sometimes you’ll get an irregular batch. Just gotta test before wc to be sure and safe.
I believe IOis the cheapest salt you could get out there with great results. I hope this helps and keep on reefing chief! ;)

You definitely get what you pay for out of salt... but finding the best salt for your system is key. My last reef was red sea coral pro but I kept my alk at 11-12 now with tank in different direction I use the red sea salt and the alk is 8.8 after a 4hr mix. Have used fritz and instant ocean in the past and the inconsistently made me switch...

Thanks for all the input it really helps. I have been at it today comparing salts.

I did also notice that when using IO there are also inconstancy between bags out of a 200lb box. enough for me....testing every wc is too muck of a PIA. I have another of those already LOL.
I'm currently using Brightwell Neo Marine, pretty consistent parameters.
After research today I came to the same decision. Not sure if that's good LOL.
Some hopefully it will be here in time for the next WC next weekend..

I made the switch to TM pro this winter, its $$ but very good. Also you feel like pablo escobar mixing it up LMAO its so pure.
it's what I I switch to as well and I can tell the difference already. I was using reef crystals before and i was always fighting with my parameters. tropic marine pro changed all that and now I have a great consistency and even stopped dosing the 2 part...the only thing I dose now is acropower, nothing else.

@wcj_ink yeah man the tight german QC of TM pro is unreal. it's so consistent that I find it worth the $, especially for smaller tanks 50 gal and less
which is exactly what I have...50nuvo. wouldn't use TM if I had a big tank, that will be a waste of money. I would love to go bigger and if I do it wont be more than 65g just bc I have fallen on love with nano tanks now. to me they are just much easier to maintain even though ppl say the bigger the easier to correct water quality, I dont see a difference if your on top of things.

Regular IO here . Make 80 gallons a month for auto water change system . I keep it airraited with a mj 1200 with air hose no problems kh 8.5 ph 8.2 ca 450 mg 1300 out of the box. Made with good RO/DI of course!

If your having inconsistencies it might be that your salt isn’t fully desolved. I mix my instant ocean salt when my RODI water is at 78 degrees. I also wait 24 hours to do a water change. I make batches that I keep for no more than two weeks. I do notice the salt leaves my barrel dirty. I test a couple times when using this salt at first with similar results. I haven’t had a a my problems using this brand. Hope this helps

If your having inconsistencies it might be that your salt isn’t fully desolved. I mix my instant ocean salt when my RODI water is at 78 degrees. I also wait 24 hours to do a water change. I make batches that I keep for no more than two weeks. I do notice the salt leaves my barrel dirty. I test a couple times when using this salt at first with similar results. I haven’t had a a my problems using this brand. Hope this helps
great point! I always mix my salt and heat for 24hrs too...I also do 1g daily water changes too and that is always kept heated and circulating with a gyre pump in my reservoir...and always test before use

Attachments

• 15916379159066774421491793208891.jpg
    15916379159066774421491793208891.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 434
great point! I always mix my salt and heat for 24hrs too...I also do 1g daily water changes too and that is always kept heated and circulating with a gyre pump in my reservoir...and always test before use
Thanks. Yes I circulate also. If your having inconsistencies usually it’s something else not the brand. And water changes shouldn’t make inconsistencies unless you are making large water changes.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back