salt water and rubber

Chrisnnemo

Non-member
does salt water break down rubber to the point it will affect my water parameters and livestock? To quite the vibration of my skimmer im thinking of putting a 1/16 thick piece of rubber underneath it in my sump

I've used rubber safe stuff made for aquariums before inside my tank before with no real issues. You could also try a few layers of thicker filter floss under the skimmer knowing you'd have to clean it more often...

Plastic lunch bag with damp sand formed into the shape of a kitchen sponge. This will prevent any sound from transmitting from the pump base..

Jim
actually I had a piece of the rubber in a plastic bag between the skimmer base and the egg crate it sits on in the sump. My landlord claims she can still hear the vibration from it, I was thinking of putting another one underneath the egg crate and bottom of glass sump. Although Im liking the sand in a bag idea. Thanks

I say turn it off for a day or two and see if they still hear it. I've done this trick on afboundguy's better 1/2 and she still thought she heard the noise :eek:
lol I have! The set-up has been in my sons bedroom for 2 years now and its recently only become a problem. I went through everything, unplugging and plugging heater, powerhead, light, and when I got to the skimmer she said it was gone. Its a Diablo 160 skimmer that I got a great deal on from a guy who upgraded the pump on it to a sicce 1000psk. Its overrated for my sons tank which in total volume is 60-70 gls, the timing was right though. Im at the point where im ready to try to trade it for a smaller in-tank skimmer though. We had the same problem with the cpr hob skimmer on our 55gl tank in the living room. She said she could hear a vibration from that so after not running that skimmer for months the problem came up again. I literally emptied the whole tank and cut a piece of that rubber mat to fit under the 55. I also changed the powerhead on the 55. That problem is solved so she says so Im throwing the hob skimmer back on and see if anything is said. Come to think of it I cut a piece and put it under the sump on the tank in my sons room lol it really has become a pain in the a**, honestly I'm ready to move.

I guess u narrowed it down already but my first guess, if I had a landlord to answer to downstairs, would be my wavemaker. When I have it cranked up I can hear it when I am in my basement as I can recognize the pattern/setting that it is on and it's not as much of a noise, as it's really a vibration into the tank/glass....and transfers into the floor.. I dont hear it in the room that the tank is in, but I hear it when i am standing in the basement below the room the tank is in.....fwiw.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back