Salt

io . Tried a bit of everything over the years. But if you're dosing, io is the best value ime...others are better for this or that...io just works at a good price...and I use a lot...lol

About a year now, mixes very clear compared to IO which I switched from. No sediment on the bottom of the mixing containers that I can tell
Yep that’s the only thing I hate about IO. But it’s super affordable and within my budget so I’ve been sticking with it for my aquariums. (I have the tank síndrome bug) LOL

Don't over think it.
Use the salt that is convenient to you and what you can afford.
On a smaller system, if you want to go fancy, go for it. But large system, I wouldn't go broke on salt. Stick to the one with consistency and you'll be fine.
I wouldn't lose sleep over a salt brand that is a little low on ALK, CA, or MG. The water change percentage you should be doing will not affect your overall system parameters in any meaningful way.
For example a 10% waterchange will affect your ALK this much using salt that is presumeably low at 6dKH and you keep your tank at 9dKH.
(9*0.9+6*0.1)=8.7dKH. This is well within your test kit tolerance and will likely be even out with your dosing or ca reactor.
I've been using IO for all the above reasons. Weekly 10% water change and a ca reactor is all I do.
I’m thinking the CA reactor is the way to go but is it necessary on smaller systems such as a 13.5, 80g & a 20 long? The 120dt & future 200 & 130dt maybe better suited imo. What are you thoughts on this chief? (Yep I’m a tank-a-Holic)

Regular Instant Ocean. Currently $34 for the 160g bucket on Amazon. Hard to beat given how expensive this hobby is in general.

I’m thinking the CA reactor is the way to go but is it necessary on smaller systems such as a 13.5, 80g & a 20 long? The 120dt & future 200 & 130dt maybe better suited imo. What are you thoughts on this chief? (Yep I’m a tank-a-Holic)
I was able to keep a 200 gallon with sps dominant with just using BulkReef 2 parts and MG dosing until the very end before I transferred it to the 360G. This video showed the tail end of the tank before the transfer.
I didn’t have a problem with the doser keeping up the parameters but I was more concerned about the slowly increasing in salinity due to the amount of solutions being pumped into the tank. I would use a doser in anything less than 120G. Anything bigger than that with good amount of SPS, plan on using a CA reactor.

Petco has 30% off first repeat delivery.
I was able to get 2 200G of instant ocean for about $37 after tax. Quite reasonable and beat hauling 60lbs of salt into the car and out.

IO...test...dose. This is the simplest and cheapest imho. I've paid 90 dollars for salt before...just made me chase other parameters...so straight io, bionic 2 part, brightwell mag

Reef Crystal's for the last 6 years. Always from Amazon delivered to my door for free (Prime member) 200 Gallon box for around $50 most of the time. (Fluctuates between 45 to 56 if memory is good )

i just got a bucket of reef crystals off amazon last week for 36.12 delivered. It won't come up on a search but in my order history it will let me re order at that price. Maybe I sould stock up a bit.

Back