Sand ?

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
What has everyone used for sand when they started their tanks? And what would you do differently now?

For my current tank, I used Caribsea live sand. It is a little too fine, and gets blown around and stuck in my magnet cleaner. For my new tank I am setting up, I am going with Caribsea "Special" grade (dry).

Tropic eden miniflakes. I can confirm it will get blown around in a sps tank. Go the next size up or even another step up. I would probably mix the above two.

But I have to say miniflakes look really nice. Carpets dig it. Literally.

I used carb-sea indo sand. Love the black and white. Down side is the black some of it is magnetic. And my son likes to help me clean the glass with the mag float....

So yeah love the colors, magnetic issue. Would make the mistake again cause of preference lol.

I used Caribsea live sand for first tank and i agree. It is a little too fine, and gets blown around. For the new set up, I went with Caribsea "Special" grade. i like the the look better and the grain is just what i wanted.

I used Caribsea live sand for first tank and i agree. It is a little too fine, and gets blown around. For the new set up, I went with Caribsea "Special" grade. i like the the look better and the grain is just what i wanted.
Is Caribsea "special grade" that much thicker or just right? I'm looking into using it on a future build if you could emphasize on it thanks.

I like the special grade based on the size of the grains and color They are larger grains and tend not to get blown around and there is less "dust" kick up with movement. I also like the look of it with with the lights flickering off it. I had a smaller grain think it may have been Caribsea fiji maybe.. but when anything moved the sand around it would kick up tiny grains into the water column and settle on my corals.

It can look good in any size tank, just a matter of opinion. It takes more time, but I love having a bare bottom. Depends on what you're going for!
I don't know yet but more than likely some SPS and i'll try to be like Dong in that tank only...

I like oolite sand but can’t do it on shallow tanks. The flow will blow it everywhere. Southdown for the win lol

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back