Sand

scjpll

Non-member
What is everyone using for sand. We’re and how mutch . I was told to use beach sand from the locale beach and to rinse it using hot water.

I went Carib sea this time but 5 months in, wish I went tropic eden. 2-1 mini reef flakes to reef flakes is top notch. I’m thinking of sucking out my top layer and adding TE to it

Tropic Eden Reefflake and Mesoflake in two tanks and CaribSea special grade in the latest tank.

I didn’t like how much plastic and wood was in the Tropic Eden.

Between 2-3 inches.

Last edited:
I purchased 8 bags of Tropic Eden 2 years ago, but I ended up only adding 6 or 7 bags. The sand was rinsed thoroughly before adding it to the tank. It took a week before I fished out the small pieces of shredded plastic. The wood bits floated into the filter socks. I don’t recall how much plastic there was, but it wasn’t too bad. Maybe 30 to 50 small to medium pieces.

I’m used to super clean sand with CaribSea. It was just strange seeing bits of plastic and wood. It made the sand seem more authentic, “fresh from the ocean.” :)

Last edited:
I purchased 8 bags of Tropic Eden 2 years ago, but I ended up only adding 6 or 7 bags. The sand was rinsed thoroughly before adding it to the tank. It took a week before I fished out the small pieces of shredded plastic. The wood bits floated into the filter socks. I don’t recall how much plastic there was, but it wasn’t too bad. Maybe 30 to 50 small to medium pieces.

I’m used to super clean sand with CaribSea. It was just strange seeing bits of plastic and wood. It made the sand seem more authentic, “fresh from the ocean.” :)
Gotcha...
I’ve used live caribsea Hawaiian black on one setup and live Fiji pink on the other. But was told that both contain glass like particles and are prone to injury to corals that require to be located on the sand. So I’m up in arms as to what’s best to use to avoid this from happening on my future 200g build. Any if all help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I use Caribsea special grade and I'm very happy with the look. I had the fiji on my last tank. Didn't like it the grains were too small and would get blown around very easily.
+1 on following the 200g built.

I use Caribsea special grade and I'm very happy with the look. I had the fiji on my last tank. Didn't like it the grains were too small and would get blown around very easily.
+1 on following the 200g built.
I don’t use small grain sand because of the sandstorms. Plus a lot of sand is lost when vacuum cleaning the sand bed.

The Fiji sand looks nice though. I’ve used it before in Biocubes and smaller tanks with gentle flow.

I don’t use small grain sand because of the sandstorms. Plus a lot of sand is lost when vacuum cleaning the sand bed.

The Fiji sand looks nice though. I’ve used it before in Biocubes and smaller tanks with gentle flow.
I"m still debating on if to go bare bottom on the 24g nano but i know i'll be heading the tropic mix on the 200g.

80g has a mix of caribsea live pink fiji and tropic eden pink as well. i like the way it looks except for when the diamond goby decides to make a snow storm in there. LOL

wifes evo 13.5 has caribsea black Hawaiian and she loves it. it does look sharp.

I"m still debating on if to go bare bottom on the 24g nano but i know i'll be heading the tropic mix on the 200g.

80g has a mix of caribsea live pink fiji and tropic eden pink as well. i like the way it looks except for when the diamond goby decides to make a snow storm in there. LOL

wifes evo 13.5 has caribsea black Hawaiian and she loves it. it does look sharp.
I used the black Hawaiian in my old tank. Looked great until it got stuck to the magnet cleaner and scratched the crap out of the glass. Just beware.

I have heard of the same this happening to another reefer on here I'm preety sure

All my sand in all my tanks is from the beach, from underwater at low tide. Ive never bought a bag of sand for my reef tanks. Been almost 8 years, no issues.
My first thought when I used Tropic Eden sand was, “They just scooped this up off of the beach,” plastic, sticks, and all.

Back