Say Hello to "Smashy"

pauldrapeau

Non-member
This mantis shrimp hitchhiked on my TBS live rock. It is now living in a 10Gal and my daughter has named it "Smashy". Pretty cool creature... I've been feeding the gorilla crabs to it as well as chunks of LRS. Smashy seems to only go after crustaceans and has been living with a small hitchhiker tiger goby ("Lucky") for a few months now. If it wouldn't bother the porcelain crabs (which I bet it would) I'd probably return it to the main display. For now "Smashy" is doing great and expert at disposing of all the pest crabs I can catch :)

Wow I had to re watch that for the action. Next time get that on slow mo! He colored up a bit. I think when I saw him he was a bit more grey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that their claw PSI was equivalent to a .22lr round going off in the tank.

I've read that as well. I searched around. There is a lot of talk about them breaking tanks but I couldn't find anything like "this mantis shrimp broke my aquarium". It seems like they're mostly talking about larger species of mantis as well. As an avid shooter and small mantis owner I will 100% say I would rather get punched by "Smashy" than shot with a .22LR :) The tank is also in a basement equipment room. If "Smashy" decided to break his tank then it is way more his problem than mine :)

Back