Screen or Net ???

Richard Kagen

Non-member
I have 1/4". Not sure if there is any benefit to going smaller - certainly nothing is jumping through at 1/4". I'd worry about actual window screen deflecting a lot of light.

Planning on open top as well. Be interested in you ideas
My SCA 120 has eurobracing so it should be super easy to rest screens. Unfortunately it only has three hole in the overflow. I am using 2 for drains and the 3rd for the return, but I run 2 returns on separate pumps as a fail safe from the basement sump. That means that I will have a 3/4 return looped over the back of the tank which will make the screen project that much harder. I think I will do 2 screens 3/4 less than the distance across the tank and then silicone a strip of acrylic to the bottom of one to fully overlap all but the small spot the 2nd return goes in.

one of my favorite fish is the diamond goby, have lost 2 in the past year, so it has to be secure.

i have 1/4” clear and I feed with my auto feeder right through it

If I remember correctly, Bulk Reef Supply did a test a while back and determined that anything besides the clear 1/4 net blocked a lot of light (measured by PAR). Either way, the black screen would look terrible.

I've done the DIY screen from BRS with clear meshing. It was fun doing it, I admit, but it's more of a pain to use and I often drop it into the tank. I took it off 3 days later.
I would only use this now. It fits perfect. It's recessed to the tank(so it's not noticeable) and it can't fall into the tank.

I've done the DIY screen from BRS with clear meshing. It was fun doing it, I admit, but it's more of a pain to use and I often drop it into the tank. I took it off 3 days later.
I would only use this now. It fits perfect. It's recessed to the tank(so it's not noticeable) and it can't fall into the tank.
I looked at those, my SCA has glass euro-bracing which forms a 2" "shelf" all around and about 1/2 recessed. BTW I would never do rimless again. My 60 cube with glass top always has salt drips down the front from fish splashing, annoying

I looked at those, my SCA has glass euro-bracing which forms a 2" "shelf" all around and about 1/2 recessed. BTW I would never do rimless again. My 60 cube with glass top always has salt drips down the front from fish splashing, annoying

I think they can do it so that it sits on the bracing.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back