Sea Hare Info

tucc185

Non-member
Has anyone here kept Sea Hares (genus Aplysia) before? The LFS where I work got 6 Olive spotted sea hares in by accident and I got one. They were about 1" when they came in but mine is about 1 and a half inches now. I know the basics about them (i.e. they get big, squirt nk, eat algae) but I'm wondering if there's anyone who has kept them successfully (or not) that has any tips. It seems that very few people I've talked to have ever seen or heard of these guys before. Mine is doing awesome so far, acting like a big snail in clearing algae off the glass. It has not released ink at all, keeps away from the corals, and looks really cool. Any thoughts, info appreciated
Mike

we did a group buy a couple of months ago for about 20 sea hares. I believe at this day they're all dead. They are very short lived in a tank.

And they make a mess when they die. Armando, did you think they did that great of a job while they were alive?

One Eye said:
And they make a mess when they die. Armando, did you think they did that great of a job while they were alive?
You could have used that clean thong to clean up the mess. :D

Thats awful. I hate to think mine is doomed. Do you know if yours were indo pacific or caribbean or indo pacific species? I've heard that some caribbean varieties are sponge eaters, so maybe that was the cause. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there. I know mine is an indo pacific specie, has two sets of "ears" and lacks the "wings" that some caribbean species have.

Well, I just googled the dolabella sea hare-mine doesn't look anything like it. I wonder if there is a difference between the two as far as diet or hardiness is concerned. Dave said he got one DOA and the other was dead the next day. There were no DOA's at all when they came in and although one or two 'disappeared', the ones that sold (mostly to my coworkers) are all in good health so far. I can always hope that mine will do well, at least.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back