Seahorse Tank

CoralJunkie

John
BRS Member
I set up an additional biocube 32 with some existing sand and rock. The tank went through a small cycle but has been doing great. I’ve got some macro algae and a small mangrove forest. I got a bonded pair of half spined seahorses from divers den. They immediately ate Mysis shrimp and have been thriving ever since. I’ve also been seeding the tank with baby brine and tisbe pods thanks to a fellow reefer.
68E3AD0D-6004-419B-B440-ED550936B33A.jpeg
277E6773-3FD0-4D11-AFFC-3C2DA28D48B5.jpeg
FABE606E-2B86-4D9A-AB02-B41169BED0CA.jpeg
4BF91380-44B3-4891-AB57-32D373157292.jpeg

A few weeks ago I could’ve sworn I witnessed my seahorse pair do the egg transfer but kind of wrote it off.

Just an update, I lost the last seahorse baby a few days ago unfortunately. It seemed as though it was going to make it because you could easily distinguish it from the others as far as its ability to swim and hunt and eat baby brine. However shortly after the seahorses had babies it appeared that they did the egg transfer and the male is huge. If I’m correct he should be popping those out tomorrow morning.

I guess I was off... nothing as of yet today but I’m almost positive he’s close and getting ready.

Going to try anything different this time? Other foods or anything? Good luck!
I would say most of the casualties were unfortunately from user error. I was unprepared to raise the seahorse babies I didn’t fully believe the male had eggs until it was too late. This time I have a better breeder box on the way, I don’t want to have to set up another tank seeing as I already have 2. I had 3 last about a week with the healthiest/strongest looking lasting about 12 days. I’m not really sure what happens but they’ll look great and then the next thing you know they’re at the top of the water squirming a little and then they eventually sink to the bottom and die.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back